Feb 10, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
Mike Vellucci, head coach and general manager of the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers, is something of a hockey lifer. He kicked around the minors for over 10 seasons — playing two NHL games with Hartford — before settling in as a coach at the junior level.
Like most hockey lifers, Vellucci has a pretty good sense of humor and knows how to work an audience, both of which were on display during Saturday’s 5-1 win over the Windsor Spitfires:
Awesome. Gotta love a coach that can barely contain his laughter mid-tirade.
Two follow-up notes to this incident:
1) According to Yahoo!, Vellucci has been suspended five games for the outburst.
2) Vellucci gets to take his routine to the big stage next year. The Whalers will face the London Knights in an OHL game played at Comerica Park as part of the 2013 Winter Classic “Hockeytown Winter Festival.”
In the words of Bart Scott: CAN’T WAIT.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)