Feb 10, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
Mike Vellucci, head coach and general manager of the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers, is something of a hockey lifer. He kicked around the minors for over 10 seasons — playing two NHL games with Hartford — before settling in as a coach at the junior level.
Like most hockey lifers, Vellucci has a pretty good sense of humor and knows how to work an audience, both of which were on display during Saturday’s 5-1 win over the Windsor Spitfires:
Awesome. Gotta love a coach that can barely contain his laughter mid-tirade.
Two follow-up notes to this incident:
1) According to Yahoo!, Vellucci has been suspended five games for the outburst.
2) Vellucci gets to take his routine to the big stage next year. The Whalers will face the London Knights in an OHL game played at Comerica Park as part of the 2013 Winter Classic “Hockeytown Winter Festival.”
In the words of Bart Scott: CAN’T WAIT.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)