Feb 10, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
Mike Vellucci, head coach and general manager of the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers, is something of a hockey lifer. He kicked around the minors for over 10 seasons — playing two NHL games with Hartford — before settling in as a coach at the junior level.
Like most hockey lifers, Vellucci has a pretty good sense of humor and knows how to work an audience, both of which were on display during Saturday’s 5-1 win over the Windsor Spitfires:
Awesome. Gotta love a coach that can barely contain his laughter mid-tirade.
Two follow-up notes to this incident:
1) According to Yahoo!, Vellucci has been suspended five games for the outburst.
2) Vellucci gets to take his routine to the big stage next year. The Whalers will face the London Knights in an OHL game played at Comerica Park as part of the 2013 Winter Classic “Hockeytown Winter Festival.”
In the words of Bart Scott: CAN’T WAIT.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8