Feb 10, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
An ugly story took a sad end on Friday. Ukrainian hockey coach Ivan Pravilov was found dead in a jail cell according to The Associated Press.
Officials believe that Pravilov committed suicide, although an official autopsy hasn’t been conducted yet. The hockey coach and trainer was arrested in January for allegedly having sexual contact with a teenage hockey player.* Pravilov reportedly pleaded not guilty to those charges.
Pravilov coached several NHL and college hockey players, including New Jersey Devils center Dainius Zubrus. The Associated Press reports that former hockey player Maxim Starchenko described him as “physically, mentally and sexually abusive” in a book.
Pravilov was 49 years old.
* – The official charge seems to be “traveling for the purpose of engaging in illicit sexual conduct and transporting a person to engage in criminal sexual activity.”
(Image via NBCPhiladelphia.com)
- Report: Islanders, Leafs, Flyers, Wild, Panthers interested in Bernier 0
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 3
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 6
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 29
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 24
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 61
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103