Feb 10, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
An ugly story took a sad end on Friday. Ukrainian hockey coach Ivan Pravilov was found dead in a jail cell according to The Associated Press.
Officials believe that Pravilov committed suicide, although an official autopsy hasn’t been conducted yet. The hockey coach and trainer was arrested in January for allegedly having sexual contact with a teenage hockey player.* Pravilov reportedly pleaded not guilty to those charges.
Pravilov coached several NHL and college hockey players, including New Jersey Devils center Dainius Zubrus. The Associated Press reports that former hockey player Maxim Starchenko described him as “physically, mentally and sexually abusive” in a book.
Pravilov was 49 years old.
* – The official charge seems to be “traveling for the purpose of engaging in illicit sexual conduct and transporting a person to engage in criminal sexual activity.”
(Image via NBCPhiladelphia.com)
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)