Feb 10, 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
Mats Sundin always said he loved playing in Toronto.
Looking back, maybe he loved it too much.
Prior to having his No. 13 honored on Saturday, the all-time leading scorer in Maple Leafs history addressed the criticisms he faced at the tail end of his career, when he refused to waive his no-trade clause for what many thought would be a key part of Toronto’s rebuilding process.
“My strength and maybe my weakness is that I’m a loyal guy,” Sundin said Friday. “I felt that you spend so much time in an organization and in Toronto, I always saw myself winning the Stanley Cup in Toronto.
“I wanted to do that and also [realized] it would never feel the same doing it somewhere else.”
Sundin did try it somewhere else — suiting up for 41 games for Vancouver in 2008-09 — but didn’t look or feel comfortable playing with anything other than a maple leaf on his chest.
“When you’re 22 or 23, it’s about winning the championship,” he said. “As you grow older you enjoy the journey, the travel and the grind of getting together a group of guys in the fall and build up to a goal in the spring. (That) was the thing that was great, the long-term commitment.”
Sundin will join the likes of Doug Gilmour (No. 93), Wendel Clark (No. 17) and fellow Swede Borje Salming (No. 21) as Leafs that have had their numbers honored by the club.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)