Feb 10, 2012, 10:54 PM EDT
Win or lose, Friday night was bound to be heavy on history for the Detroit Red Wings.
Tomas Holmstrom and Nicklas Lidstrom reached their milestones for games played, as the polarizing winger hit Game No. 1,000 while Lidstrom tied Alex Delvecchio for second place in Red Wings history with 1,549.
Those individual milestones were cleared on each players’ first shift, but the team’s other brush with history wasn’t settled until Joey MacDonald stopped Bobby Ryan‘s shootout attempt. Detroit inched one win closer to tying the NHL’s all-time record for consecutive wins (20)* with their 19th by barely squeezing by the Anaheim Ducks 2-1 (SO).
The Red Wings have needed extra time to keep the streak alive quite a bit lately. Four of their last seven home wins have come after regulation, with three being determined by a shootout.
More on the 19-game streak
Some purists might try to poke holes in Detroit’s run based on those facts if they get to (or beyond) 20 straight wins at Joe Louis Arena, but it’s an impressive run nonetheless. NHL Network provides some interesting stats from the 19-game streak:
Goals for: 79
Goals against: 27
Power play percentage: 20
Penalty kill percentage: 82.4
You can watch the Red Wings try to match the 20-win record on NBC Sports Network as they take on the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday at 7:30 p.m. ET. If Detroit wins that, a Tuesday night game against the Dallas Stars would be all that stands in the Detroit’s way from becoming the sole leader in that impressive record.
Looking beyond the pursuit of the record
Shifting from historical impacts to a shorter-term view of the season, the Red Wings have four consecutive home games, six of seven and eight of their next 10 at Joe Louis Arena going forward. If the Red Wings stays hot in Detroit, the team could build a truly formidable lead in the Central Division and the Western Conference as a whole.
* The 1929-30 Boston Bruins and 1975-76 Philadelphia Flyers share that record.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Now, can they hang on for the win?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Heavy hit along the boards.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Oct 20, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Terrible luck for the 22-year-old rookie d-man.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Club addressed the domestic assault charges in a brief statement Monday.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 0
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)