Feb 10, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch is loyal to Detroit. It’s where his teams play and his businesses are headquartered. It’s his hometown.
With that in mind, it shouldn’t be shocking that Brendan Savage reports Ilitich’s first choice for the 2013 Winter Classic was Detroit’s Comerica Park rather than Ann Arbor’s Big House. Ultimately, Ilitch acknowledged the obvious economic advantages of having about 115,000 fans vs. about 40,000, so the Big House won out.
It didn’t come without some major concessions, though – namely, all the events that will happen at Comerica Park. NHL.com’s Brian Hedger discusses what’s scheduled for the weekend of the 2013 event.
That rink will play host to a number of hockey-related events over a two-week span leading up to the big game in Ann Arbor — including the NHL Alumni Showdown, the tradition-rich Great Lakes Invitational college tournament, two games between Ontario Hockey League teams, one game between the American Hockey League affiliates of Detroit and Toronto, high school and youth contests and even an open skate.
Two rinks, one common goal: To celebrate the sport of hockey at all levels and make sure that Ilitch’s beloved hometown gets its share of attention and economic advantages from hosting what’s become an NHL signature event.
In other words, everyone wins – including the city of Detroit.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner