Feb 10, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
The morning after Minnesota head coach Mike Yeo ripped his team for a lackluster effort against Vancouver, the Wild responded by putting Brad Staubitz on waivers.
Staubitz, 27, had been with the Wild since being traded from San Jose following the 2009-10 season. Mike Russo of the Star-Tribune classified him as a “middleweight who often seems reluctant to fight,” with “a propensity for bad penalties” — so, not the kind of guy able to stop Minnesota’s epic collapse. The Wild are 5-14-5 since Dec. 13 and now sit 10th in the West, two point out of a playoff spot.
It’s possible Staubitz was one of the players Yeo was referring to last night when, following a 5-2 home loss to the Canucks, he let his frustrations fly.
“We flat-out stink the last two months,” Yeo said. “We stink. I’m concerned about the fact that we come into games and we don’t have enough guys when we should have absolute desperation in our game.”
Staubitz played a team-low 6:39 against Vancouver, recording just one hit and nine shifts.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)