Feb 10, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
The morning after Minnesota head coach Mike Yeo ripped his team for a lackluster effort against Vancouver, the Wild responded by putting Brad Staubitz on waivers.
Staubitz, 27, had been with the Wild since being traded from San Jose following the 2009-10 season. Mike Russo of the Star-Tribune classified him as a “middleweight who often seems reluctant to fight,” with “a propensity for bad penalties” — so, not the kind of guy able to stop Minnesota’s epic collapse. The Wild are 5-14-5 since Dec. 13 and now sit 10th in the West, two point out of a playoff spot.
It’s possible Staubitz was one of the players Yeo was referring to last night when, following a 5-2 home loss to the Canucks, he let his frustrations fly.
“We flat-out stink the last two months,” Yeo said. “We stink. I’m concerned about the fact that we come into games and we don’t have enough guys when we should have absolute desperation in our game.”
Staubitz played a team-low 6:39 against Vancouver, recording just one hit and nine shifts.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)