Feb 10, 2012, 12:55 PM EST
The morning after Minnesota head coach Mike Yeo ripped his team for a lackluster effort against Vancouver, the Wild responded by putting Brad Staubitz on waivers.
Staubitz, 27, had been with the Wild since being traded from San Jose following the 2009-10 season. Mike Russo of the Star-Tribune classified him as a “middleweight who often seems reluctant to fight,” with “a propensity for bad penalties” — so, not the kind of guy able to stop Minnesota’s epic collapse. The Wild are 5-14-5 since Dec. 13 and now sit 10th in the West, two point out of a playoff spot.
It’s possible Staubitz was one of the players Yeo was referring to last night when, following a 5-2 home loss to the Canucks, he let his frustrations fly.
“We flat-out stink the last two months,” Yeo said. “We stink. I’m concerned about the fact that we come into games and we don’t have enough guys when we should have absolute desperation in our game.”
Staubitz played a team-low 6:39 against Vancouver, recording just one hit and nine shifts.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 40
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)