Feb 10, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
Capitals forward Mike Knuble has had a less-than stellar season. With just three goals and a -14 plus/minus rating (for whatever that’s worth to you), Knuble has seen his minutes dwindle and he’s gone from the top line to the fourth line and was a healthy scratch last night against Winnipeg.
At 39-years-old Knuble’s days in the NHL aren’t long, but his time in Washington may soon be at an end. Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com says that with the trade deadline approaching, Knuble could be headed out of town soon.
By making Knuble a healthy scratch on Thursday night, coach Dale Hunter ran the risk of not only alienating his veteran winger, but dividing his locker room. And that could mean a quick deal is in the works for Knuble, who is on a one-year, $2 million deal.
As for who might want a piece of Knuble, Gormley says that San Jose or Chicago could be interested in him alone. Failing that, if he was part of a package deal with struggling defenseman Jeff Schultz they could be moved to get what the Caps need elsewhere on the ice (a capable second line center perhaps). Good luck selling any teams on a deal featuring two guys having bad seasons.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)