Feb 10, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
Capitals forward Mike Knuble has had a less-than stellar season. With just three goals and a -14 plus/minus rating (for whatever that’s worth to you), Knuble has seen his minutes dwindle and he’s gone from the top line to the fourth line and was a healthy scratch last night against Winnipeg.
At 39-years-old Knuble’s days in the NHL aren’t long, but his time in Washington may soon be at an end. Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com says that with the trade deadline approaching, Knuble could be headed out of town soon.
By making Knuble a healthy scratch on Thursday night, coach Dale Hunter ran the risk of not only alienating his veteran winger, but dividing his locker room. And that could mean a quick deal is in the works for Knuble, who is on a one-year, $2 million deal.
As for who might want a piece of Knuble, Gormley says that San Jose or Chicago could be interested in him alone. Failing that, if he was part of a package deal with struggling defenseman Jeff Schultz they could be moved to get what the Caps need elsewhere on the ice (a capable second line center perhaps). Good luck selling any teams on a deal featuring two guys having bad seasons.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)