Feb 10, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
Capitals forward Mike Knuble has had a less-than stellar season. With just three goals and a -14 plus/minus rating (for whatever that’s worth to you), Knuble has seen his minutes dwindle and he’s gone from the top line to the fourth line and was a healthy scratch last night against Winnipeg.
At 39-years-old Knuble’s days in the NHL aren’t long, but his time in Washington may soon be at an end. Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com says that with the trade deadline approaching, Knuble could be headed out of town soon.
By making Knuble a healthy scratch on Thursday night, coach Dale Hunter ran the risk of not only alienating his veteran winger, but dividing his locker room. And that could mean a quick deal is in the works for Knuble, who is on a one-year, $2 million deal.
As for who might want a piece of Knuble, Gormley says that San Jose or Chicago could be interested in him alone. Failing that, if he was part of a package deal with struggling defenseman Jeff Schultz they could be moved to get what the Caps need elsewhere on the ice (a capable second line center perhaps). Good luck selling any teams on a deal featuring two guys having bad seasons.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)