Feb 10, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
Capitals forward Mike Knuble has had a less-than stellar season. With just three goals and a -14 plus/minus rating (for whatever that’s worth to you), Knuble has seen his minutes dwindle and he’s gone from the top line to the fourth line and was a healthy scratch last night against Winnipeg.
At 39-years-old Knuble’s days in the NHL aren’t long, but his time in Washington may soon be at an end. Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com says that with the trade deadline approaching, Knuble could be headed out of town soon.
By making Knuble a healthy scratch on Thursday night, coach Dale Hunter ran the risk of not only alienating his veteran winger, but dividing his locker room. And that could mean a quick deal is in the works for Knuble, who is on a one-year, $2 million deal.
As for who might want a piece of Knuble, Gormley says that San Jose or Chicago could be interested in him alone. Failing that, if he was part of a package deal with struggling defenseman Jeff Schultz they could be moved to get what the Caps need elsewhere on the ice (a capable second line center perhaps). Good luck selling any teams on a deal featuring two guys having bad seasons.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)