Feb 10, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
While the Phoenix Coyotes remain owner-free in the desert, a former Coyotes star might be helping them stay in the desert for the foreseeable future.
According to Lisa Halverstadt of the Arizona Republic, Jeremy Roenick has been approached by prospective Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison to be part of his team to purchase the league-owned franchise. Halverstadt reports that Roenick wants what just about everyone else interested in buying the team has wanted in the past.
Roenick, a Scottsdale resident, said he aims for deal that includes the struggling Westgate City Center, which developers built a decade ago in hopes of drawing crowds with sports, shopping and entertainment.
Nothing is easy with how things have gone with the Coyotes and those that have wanted to buy them.
Jim Balsillie went about it the wrong way trying to sweep them out of the desert like they were the Baltimore Colts of hockey. Jerry Reinsdorf dawdled never got an agreement worked out. Ice Edge Holdings were never able to get something completed, and Matthew Hulsizer was blocked by the Goldwater Institute from completing his purchase agreement.
A team of Jamison and Roenick could be enough to get things worked out if the particulars are right, but Roenick tells the Arizona Republic that there’s no time frame on a deal.
If Roenick can help keep the team in Arizona he’ll be as big of a hero to fans in Glendale and Phoenix as Mario Lemieux was for keeping the Penguins in Pittsburgh by buying them. As we know all too well with the Coyotes, getting it done might take a long time if it ever gets done at all. They may have to work fast, however, as time isn’t on their side to keep the team in the desert.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks