Feb 10, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Here’s the hit in question:
As you can tell by the reactions from St. Louis play-by-play man John Kelly and analyst Darren Pang, the call was something of a surprise (they thought it was a two-minute minor.) Foster later told Rich Chere of the Star Ledger that a referee informed him the five and a game was because Porter was bleeding from the head.
As for what Foster thought of the hit?
“I know the he went into the boards the way he did, but I thought that I went shoulder to shoulder,” he said. “I’d have to see the replay again. It happened so quickly I thought I did a good job of catching him with my shoulder on his shoulder and the way he turned he almost put himself into the boards.”
Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t seem to think the hit would warrant supplemental discipline.
“No, not based on the reaction of the people that did see it inside,” he said when asked about Foster being suspended. “They didn’t see anything serious.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)