Feb 10, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Here’s the hit in question:
As you can tell by the reactions from St. Louis play-by-play man John Kelly and analyst Darren Pang, the call was something of a surprise (they thought it was a two-minute minor.) Foster later told Rich Chere of the Star Ledger that a referee informed him the five and a game was because Porter was bleeding from the head.
As for what Foster thought of the hit?
“I know the he went into the boards the way he did, but I thought that I went shoulder to shoulder,” he said. “I’d have to see the replay again. It happened so quickly I thought I did a good job of catching him with my shoulder on his shoulder and the way he turned he almost put himself into the boards.”
Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t seem to think the hit would warrant supplemental discipline.
“No, not based on the reaction of the people that did see it inside,” he said when asked about Foster being suspended. “They didn’t see anything serious.”
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury (Updated) 8
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 26
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)