Feb 10, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Here’s the hit in question:
As you can tell by the reactions from St. Louis play-by-play man John Kelly and analyst Darren Pang, the call was something of a surprise (they thought it was a two-minute minor.) Foster later told Rich Chere of the Star Ledger that a referee informed him the five and a game was because Porter was bleeding from the head.
As for what Foster thought of the hit?
“I know the he went into the boards the way he did, but I thought that I went shoulder to shoulder,” he said. “I’d have to see the replay again. It happened so quickly I thought I did a good job of catching him with my shoulder on his shoulder and the way he turned he almost put himself into the boards.”
Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t seem to think the hit would warrant supplemental discipline.
“No, not based on the reaction of the people that did see it inside,” he said when asked about Foster being suspended. “They didn’t see anything serious.”
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)