Feb 10, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Here’s the hit in question:
As you can tell by the reactions from St. Louis play-by-play man John Kelly and analyst Darren Pang, the call was something of a surprise (they thought it was a two-minute minor.) Foster later told Rich Chere of the Star Ledger that a referee informed him the five and a game was because Porter was bleeding from the head.
As for what Foster thought of the hit?
“I know the he went into the boards the way he did, but I thought that I went shoulder to shoulder,” he said. “I’d have to see the replay again. It happened so quickly I thought I did a good job of catching him with my shoulder on his shoulder and the way he turned he almost put himself into the boards.”
Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t seem to think the hit would warrant supplemental discipline.
“No, not based on the reaction of the people that did see it inside,” he said when asked about Foster being suspended. “They didn’t see anything serious.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5