Detroit’s Lidstrom, Holmstrom to set milestones tonight

Feb 10, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT

Lidstrom Holmstrom

There’s no shortage of storylines heading into tonight’s Wings-Ducks game at Joe Louis Arena. Detroit will be looking for its 19th consecutive win at home — one shy of the NHL record — while a pair of veterans will set career milestones.

First: Tomas Holmstrom, who will play in his 1,000th NHL contest, becoming just the sixth Red Wing to reach that mark. Not bad for a 10th-round pick (257th overall!) at the 1994 NHL Entry Draft, one that’s spent the majority of his career parked in front of the goal crease, taking an insane amount of physical punishment.

“With the amount of games he’s played and the amount of abuse he’s taken, you’d think that his body would have given up on him,” former Wings teammate Kris Draper told MLive.com. “His pain threshold is probably as high as I’ve ever seen with a hockey player, the stuff that he goes through and how he keeps coming back for more.”

Second: Nicklas Lidstrom, who will play in his 1,549th game, tying him with Alex Delvecchio for second place on the franchise’s career list. The only man to have played more games wearing the winged wheel is Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe.

“Anytime you get a chance to tie Mr. Delvecchio it’s a special, special thing,” Detroit head coach Mike Babcock said. “I don’t know if Nick wants to hang around long enough to tie Gordie, but good for us and good for them.”

Delvecchio was also full of praise for the seven-time Norris Trophy winner.

“He’s a great hockey player,” Delvecchio said. “To be truthful, I didn’t even know I had any record for playing games. But I can’t think of a better person to [pass him] than Nick.”

1. kiopta1 - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Great job and thanks Nick and Holmie….on a side not this article would have you believe Delvecchio was a robot.

2. psujay - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM

He’s a great hockey player,” Delvecchio said. “To be truthful, I didn’t even know I had any record for playing games. But I can’t think of a better person to Error: Break shortcode syntax invalid than Nick.”

Well said, Mr Delvecchio, well said.

• yettyskills - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM

lol

• Mike Halford - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:16 PM

And now we all know the dangers of using the word “break” in between square brackets [ ]. Break shortcode syntax invalid!

• davebabychreturns - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM

You think that’s bad, try getting a quote from Delvecchio about anyone with an apostrophe in their name. Syntax errors all over the place!

3. scoops1 - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM

The only organization in detroit that has class

• yettyskills - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Illitch owns the Tigers, what is your problem with the Tigers?

4. yettyskills - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I remember seeing Lidstrom in the ’91 Canada Cup and called him a future Hall Of Famer.
    Oh how my friends giggled at the statement.

21 years later he has been so much better than I thought at 1st.

5. Stiller43 - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Who cares?! Jordan staal is back!!

6. habsman - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM

The Red Wings are a first class organization. These two guys have represented the franchise with pride and sportsmanship their entire career. Congrats.

7. hockinj25 - Feb 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I wonder how many goals Homer has had called back for goalie interference or being in the crease

8. kibbee2545 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Any great notch in their great history,

Top 10 NHL Player Searches