Feb 9, 2012, 8:25 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils’ current hot streak is impressive in several ways, but one of the most underrated facets of their 2011-12 season is that they’re getting things done without Travis Zajac.
OK, the top center did play eight games, but he didn’t really seem himself as he produced three points. The Devils decided to shut him down for a bit longer and it looks like the team will continue to be without him for some time, as Mike Morreale reports that he’s expected to miss another month recovering from his Achilles injury.
Zajac is expected to take about two weeks to get back on the ice and two more to work up to game action. That slates him for approximately mid-March, which could potentially give him about a month to ramp up for the playoffs (if the Devils remain on that trajectory).
Zajac tends to get overshadowed by Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk while Patrik Elias‘ resurgence and Adam Henrique‘s emergence have made him reasonably replaceable this season. That being said, he’s been one of the league’s more underrated forwards, so the Devils could be downright dangerous if he can come back close to 100 percent.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)