Feb 9, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Two days after his team was denied a last-second goal due to a controversial call, New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella said it might be time for the NHL to adopt late-game replays.
“We spend a lot of B.S. with the shootout and all these little gimmicks we have in our game,” Tortorella told reporters. “I think it’s more important to make sure we get the calls right in those situations.
“Now, have I thought the ramifications through? No.”
[This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer's in the department store change room and decides to sell the clothes he's wearing to another customer, then realizes he's naked with nothing to put on. "I didn't think it through!"]
ANYWAY, back to hockey…
Replays showed that Gaborik appeared to be pushed by Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov, but officials opted to whistle Gaborik for interference.
Tortorella was vehement in his objections from the Rangers bench, but declined to comment following the game. Guess he saved it all for today.
“I’m just speaking as far as what we experienced the other night, and maybe it does take a few extra seconds, but in the last minute of a game, you need to try and get that call right,” he said. “I’m not saying it was wrong. I’m just saying you’ve got to get it right.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)