Feb 9, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Two days after his team was denied a last-second goal due to a controversial call, New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella said it might be time for the NHL to adopt late-game replays.
“We spend a lot of B.S. with the shootout and all these little gimmicks we have in our game,” Tortorella told reporters. “I think it’s more important to make sure we get the calls right in those situations.
“Now, have I thought the ramifications through? No.”
[This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer’s in the department store change room and decides to sell the clothes he’s wearing to another customer, then realizes he’s naked with nothing to put on. “I didn’t think it through!”]
ANYWAY, back to hockey…
Replays showed that Gaborik appeared to be pushed by Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov, but officials opted to whistle Gaborik for interference.
Tortorella was vehement in his objections from the Rangers bench, but declined to comment following the game. Guess he saved it all for today.
“I’m just speaking as far as what we experienced the other night, and maybe it does take a few extra seconds, but in the last minute of a game, you need to try and get that call right,” he said. “I’m not saying it was wrong. I’m just saying you’ve got to get it right.”
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink 33
- Quick strike: Lightning steal Game 3 from Habs with last-second goal 17
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 18
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 46
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (67)
- Lundqvist thinks Backstrom’s hit caused Rangers to lose focus before game-winning goal (63)