Feb 9, 2012, 6:27 PM EST
Two days after his team was denied a last-second goal due to a controversial call, New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella said it might be time for the NHL to adopt late-game replays.
“We spend a lot of B.S. with the shootout and all these little gimmicks we have in our game,” Tortorella told reporters. “I think it’s more important to make sure we get the calls right in those situations.
“Now, have I thought the ramifications through? No.”
[This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer’s in the department store change room and decides to sell the clothes he’s wearing to another customer, then realizes he’s naked with nothing to put on. “I didn’t think it through!”]
ANYWAY, back to hockey…
Replays showed that Gaborik appeared to be pushed by Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov, but officials opted to whistle Gaborik for interference.
Tortorella was vehement in his objections from the Rangers bench, but declined to comment following the game. Guess he saved it all for today.
“I’m just speaking as far as what we experienced the other night, and maybe it does take a few extra seconds, but in the last minute of a game, you need to try and get that call right,” he said. “I’m not saying it was wrong. I’m just saying you’ve got to get it right.”
- In praise of the Hamburglar 9
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)