Feb 9, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Two days after his team was denied a last-second goal due to a controversial call, New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella said it might be time for the NHL to adopt late-game replays.
“We spend a lot of B.S. with the shootout and all these little gimmicks we have in our game,” Tortorella told reporters. “I think it’s more important to make sure we get the calls right in those situations.
“Now, have I thought the ramifications through? No.”
[This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer's in the department store change room and decides to sell the clothes he's wearing to another customer, then realizes he's naked with nothing to put on. "I didn't think it through!"]
ANYWAY, back to hockey…
Replays showed that Gaborik appeared to be pushed by Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov, but officials opted to whistle Gaborik for interference.
Tortorella was vehement in his objections from the Rangers bench, but declined to comment following the game. Guess he saved it all for today.
“I’m just speaking as far as what we experienced the other night, and maybe it does take a few extra seconds, but in the last minute of a game, you need to try and get that call right,” he said. “I’m not saying it was wrong. I’m just saying you’ve got to get it right.”
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 63
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 5
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 30
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 15
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination