Feb 9, 2012, 8:35 AM EDT
It’s not a high-profile matchup by a longshot, but tonight’s Flames-Coyotes game in Glendale is worth watching nonetheless.
In case you haven’t noticed — and we won’t blame you if you haven’t — both teams are making a run at the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Starting with Calgary, if the Flames can follow up last night’s win over San Jose with a victory tonight, they’ll leapfrog the Coyotes and Wild and move into eighth place in the conference (though the Wild would have two games in hand).
Earlier in the week, Flames captain Jarome Iginla spoke confidently about his team’s postseason chances.
“I think we’re going to be a playoff team. I believe that,” he told reporters.
Iginla also suggested that if the Flames can sneak in, they could make a run.
“I don’t think there’s any favorite front-runner,” he said. “I think if you make the playoffs, you have a shot.”
The Coyotes, meanwhile, have won three in a row, outscoring their opponents (San Jose, Detroit and Dallas) 12-5 in the process.
So yeah, tonight’s a big game.
Good seats are probably still available.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)