Feb 9, 2012, 8:35 AM EDT
It’s not a high-profile matchup by a longshot, but tonight’s Flames-Coyotes game in Glendale is worth watching nonetheless.
In case you haven’t noticed — and we won’t blame you if you haven’t — both teams are making a run at the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Starting with Calgary, if the Flames can follow up last night’s win over San Jose with a victory tonight, they’ll leapfrog the Coyotes and Wild and move into eighth place in the conference (though the Wild would have two games in hand).
Earlier in the week, Flames captain Jarome Iginla spoke confidently about his team’s postseason chances.
“I think we’re going to be a playoff team. I believe that,” he told reporters.
Iginla also suggested that if the Flames can sneak in, they could make a run.
“I don’t think there’s any favorite front-runner,” he said. “I think if you make the playoffs, you have a shot.”
The Coyotes, meanwhile, have won three in a row, outscoring their opponents (San Jose, Detroit and Dallas) 12-5 in the process.
So yeah, tonight’s a big game.
Good seats are probably still available.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 5
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 35
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)