Feb 9, 2012, 8:35 AM EST
It’s not a high-profile matchup by a longshot, but tonight’s Flames-Coyotes game in Glendale is worth watching nonetheless.
In case you haven’t noticed — and we won’t blame you if you haven’t — both teams are making a run at the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Starting with Calgary, if the Flames can follow up last night’s win over San Jose with a victory tonight, they’ll leapfrog the Coyotes and Wild and move into eighth place in the conference (though the Wild would have two games in hand).
Earlier in the week, Flames captain Jarome Iginla spoke confidently about his team’s postseason chances.
“I think we’re going to be a playoff team. I believe that,” he told reporters.
Iginla also suggested that if the Flames can sneak in, they could make a run.
“I don’t think there’s any favorite front-runner,” he said. “I think if you make the playoffs, you have a shot.”
The Coyotes, meanwhile, have won three in a row, outscoring their opponents (San Jose, Detroit and Dallas) 12-5 in the process.
So yeah, tonight’s a big game.
Good seats are probably still available.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 23
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (133)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)