Feb 9, 2012, 8:35 AM EST
It’s not a high-profile matchup by a longshot, but tonight’s Flames-Coyotes game in Glendale is worth watching nonetheless.
In case you haven’t noticed — and we won’t blame you if you haven’t — both teams are making a run at the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Starting with Calgary, if the Flames can follow up last night’s win over San Jose with a victory tonight, they’ll leapfrog the Coyotes and Wild and move into eighth place in the conference (though the Wild would have two games in hand).
Earlier in the week, Flames captain Jarome Iginla spoke confidently about his team’s postseason chances.
“I think we’re going to be a playoff team. I believe that,” he told reporters.
Iginla also suggested that if the Flames can sneak in, they could make a run.
“I don’t think there’s any favorite front-runner,” he said. “I think if you make the playoffs, you have a shot.”
The Coyotes, meanwhile, have won three in a row, outscoring their opponents (San Jose, Detroit and Dallas) 12-5 in the process.
So yeah, tonight’s a big game.
Good seats are probably still available.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 7
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 9
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 8
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)