Feb 9, 2012, 1:11 PM EDT
Via the Canadian Press:
When the power play stinks, the injuries are plentiful and the offense is anemic, there may be only one hope for a lacklustre NHL team to make the playoffs.
Help from God.
The Catholic church has placed an ad in Montreal newspapers today encouraging people to pray for an eight-place finish — and a playoff spot — for the Montreal Canadiens.
The ad shows the Eastern Conference standings with every team listed except the Canadiens. In eighth place, the final playoff spot, it simply says, “Let Us Pray.”
Now, hopefully it’s obvious that the church isn’t actually imploring everyone to pray for the Habs (though it couldn’t hurt). It’s just a cheeky piece of advertising to help fill collection plates.
It’s not the first time the church has grabbed attention by relating to an issue that’s important to Montrealers.
Via the Canadian Press (April, 2011):
The Roman Catholic Church in Montreal is sending a message to motorists as they approach the city’s crumbling Champlain Bridge: Say Your Prayers.
The archdiocese of Montreal hopes the words — displayed on a highway billboard — will draw attention to the church and encourage people to fill collection plates over Easter.
But the archdiocese is also voicing its political views on the future of one of Canada’s busiest bridges, which is a hot federal election issue in the region.
“For sure we’re associating with those who are asking for a safe structure,” archdiocese spokeswoman Lucie Martineau said Tuesday.
“But we’re not going to delve any deeper into this issue. It’s really just to associate with them in a humorous way.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 0
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)