Feb 9, 2012, 1:11 PM EDT
Via the Canadian Press:
When the power play stinks, the injuries are plentiful and the offense is anemic, there may be only one hope for a lacklustre NHL team to make the playoffs.
Help from God.
The Catholic church has placed an ad in Montreal newspapers today encouraging people to pray for an eight-place finish — and a playoff spot — for the Montreal Canadiens.
The ad shows the Eastern Conference standings with every team listed except the Canadiens. In eighth place, the final playoff spot, it simply says, “Let Us Pray.”
Now, hopefully it’s obvious that the church isn’t actually imploring everyone to pray for the Habs (though it couldn’t hurt). It’s just a cheeky piece of advertising to help fill collection plates.
It’s not the first time the church has grabbed attention by relating to an issue that’s important to Montrealers.
Via the Canadian Press (April, 2011):
The Roman Catholic Church in Montreal is sending a message to motorists as they approach the city’s crumbling Champlain Bridge: Say Your Prayers.
The archdiocese of Montreal hopes the words — displayed on a highway billboard — will draw attention to the church and encourage people to fill collection plates over Easter.
But the archdiocese is also voicing its political views on the future of one of Canada’s busiest bridges, which is a hot federal election issue in the region.
“For sure we’re associating with those who are asking for a safe structure,” archdiocese spokeswoman Lucie Martineau said Tuesday.
“But we’re not going to delve any deeper into this issue. It’s really just to associate with them in a humorous way.”
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 5
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 53
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 6
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 45
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)