Feb 9, 2012, 1:11 PM EDT
Via the Canadian Press:
When the power play stinks, the injuries are plentiful and the offense is anemic, there may be only one hope for a lacklustre NHL team to make the playoffs.
Help from God.
The Catholic church has placed an ad in Montreal newspapers today encouraging people to pray for an eight-place finish — and a playoff spot — for the Montreal Canadiens.
The ad shows the Eastern Conference standings with every team listed except the Canadiens. In eighth place, the final playoff spot, it simply says, “Let Us Pray.”
Now, hopefully it’s obvious that the church isn’t actually imploring everyone to pray for the Habs (though it couldn’t hurt). It’s just a cheeky piece of advertising to help fill collection plates.
It’s not the first time the church has grabbed attention by relating to an issue that’s important to Montrealers.
Via the Canadian Press (April, 2011):
The Roman Catholic Church in Montreal is sending a message to motorists as they approach the city’s crumbling Champlain Bridge: Say Your Prayers.
The archdiocese of Montreal hopes the words — displayed on a highway billboard — will draw attention to the church and encourage people to fill collection plates over Easter.
But the archdiocese is also voicing its political views on the future of one of Canada’s busiest bridges, which is a hot federal election issue in the region.
“For sure we’re associating with those who are asking for a safe structure,” archdiocese spokeswoman Lucie Martineau said Tuesday.
“But we’re not going to delve any deeper into this issue. It’s really just to associate with them in a humorous way.”
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination