Feb 9, 2012, 4:50 PM EST
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that Carolina forward Tuomo Ruutu — one of the most talked-about players heading into the trade deadline — might not be going anywhere.
‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford told LeBrun he met with Ruutu and decided he wants to try and re-up with the soon-to-be unrestricted free agent. Ruutu, 28, leads the ‘Canes in goals this year and is coming off a 2010-11 campaign where he posted career highs in assists (38) and points (57). He’s in the final year of a deal that pays him $3.8 million annually.
While a big development in terms of shaping the trade market, Rutherford wanting to re-sign Ruutu isn’t a huge surprise, especially given what CBC’s Elliotte Friedman wrote in his most recent 30 Thoughts column:
Jim Rutherford knew that if he jettisoned [Tim] Gleason, it probably costs Carolina even more to replace him. (That’s one thing we often forget to consider in trades.) So, he’s considering the same possibility with Tuomo Ruutu. Rutherford’s asking a lot and is only getting nibbles.
That said, Ruutu staying in Carolina is far from a done deal. LeBrun said the two sides will discuss a contract over the next week and, should they fail to come to an agreement, Ruutu will likely be shipped out prior to (or at) the deadline.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)