Feb 9, 2012, 6:28 PM EST
We don’t want to say things are getting desperate in Glendale, but…things are getting desperate in Glendale.
Via The Arizona Republic:
Glendale and hockey officials won’t offer anything definitive on the ongoing Phoenix Coyotes ownership saga but they will say what won’t work: a proposal floated by a potential City Council candidate for fans to buy the team a la Green Bay Packers.
The NFL franchise has been publicly owned since 1923. About 112,000 fans own Packers stock and a board of directors and an executive committee handle day-to-day business.
Stew Radawec, who plans to run for Glendale City Council in the Cactus District, proffered the idea as worth exploring as he opposes any more city money going to the National Hockey League.
The concept has been raised numerous times among Coyotes fans since the ownership woes began in 2009.
Not to be a jerk, but could you picture a Coyotes IPO? We imagine it’d be a lot like Facebook’s IPO, if nobody was on Facebook.
What the Coyotes need if they’re going to stay in Glendale is an owner (or ownership group) with deep enough pockets to absorb losses until the franchise can be turned around, assuming that’s even possible. Or, it needs an owner like Terry Pegula who’s not in it for the money.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)