Feb 9, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
Sure, other positions have taken blows too, but Pittsburgh Penguins centers have only been slightly safer than Spinal Tap drummers this season.
Obviously you know about Sidney Crosby, but there was also Evgeni Malkin for a while. Jordan Staal must have felt left out because he’s on the shelf, too. Alan Robinson reports that Staal is on his way back from that knee injury, but naturally for the Penguins, every bit of good news must be laced with some bad stuff. In this case, word is that a high-ankle sprain will sideline sometimes-center Tyler Kennedy for 4-6 weeks.
Kennedy isn’t a superstar (six goals and 22 points in 42 games), but he’s been able to slide into different roles depending on injuries, culminating in him achieving career-bests in goals (21), assists (24), points (45) and even games played (80) amid last season’s wave of calamities.
Many believe that the Penguins essentially chose Kennedy over Jaromir Jagr last summer and some will argue that he’s worth it (even if he won’t rack up the same gaudy numbers). Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, it sounds like he’ll miss even more time than the aging Hall of Famer has missed this season.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)