Feb 9, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
Sure, other positions have taken blows too, but Pittsburgh Penguins centers have only been slightly safer than Spinal Tap drummers this season.
Obviously you know about Sidney Crosby, but there was also Evgeni Malkin for a while. Jordan Staal must have felt left out because he’s on the shelf, too. Alan Robinson reports that Staal is on his way back from that knee injury, but naturally for the Penguins, every bit of good news must be laced with some bad stuff. In this case, word is that a high-ankle sprain will sideline sometimes-center Tyler Kennedy for 4-6 weeks.
Kennedy isn’t a superstar (six goals and 22 points in 42 games), but he’s been able to slide into different roles depending on injuries, culminating in him achieving career-bests in goals (21), assists (24), points (45) and even games played (80) amid last season’s wave of calamities.
Many believe that the Penguins essentially chose Kennedy over Jaromir Jagr last summer and some will argue that he’s worth it (even if he won’t rack up the same gaudy numbers). Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, it sounds like he’ll miss even more time than the aging Hall of Famer has missed this season.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)