Feb 9, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
Sure, other positions have taken blows too, but Pittsburgh Penguins centers have only been slightly safer than Spinal Tap drummers this season.
Obviously you know about Sidney Crosby, but there was also Evgeni Malkin for a while. Jordan Staal must have felt left out because he’s on the shelf, too. Alan Robinson reports that Staal is on his way back from that knee injury, but naturally for the Penguins, every bit of good news must be laced with some bad stuff. In this case, word is that a high-ankle sprain will sideline sometimes-center Tyler Kennedy for 4-6 weeks.
Kennedy isn’t a superstar (six goals and 22 points in 42 games), but he’s been able to slide into different roles depending on injuries, culminating in him achieving career-bests in goals (21), assists (24), points (45) and even games played (80) amid last season’s wave of calamities.
Many believe that the Penguins essentially chose Kennedy over Jaromir Jagr last summer and some will argue that he’s worth it (even if he won’t rack up the same gaudy numbers). Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, it sounds like he’ll miss even more time than the aging Hall of Famer has missed this season.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)