Feb 9, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
Sure, other positions have taken blows too, but Pittsburgh Penguins centers have only been slightly safer than Spinal Tap drummers this season.
Obviously you know about Sidney Crosby, but there was also Evgeni Malkin for a while. Jordan Staal must have felt left out because he’s on the shelf, too. Alan Robinson reports that Staal is on his way back from that knee injury, but naturally for the Penguins, every bit of good news must be laced with some bad stuff. In this case, word is that a high-ankle sprain will sideline sometimes-center Tyler Kennedy for 4-6 weeks.
Kennedy isn’t a superstar (six goals and 22 points in 42 games), but he’s been able to slide into different roles depending on injuries, culminating in him achieving career-bests in goals (21), assists (24), points (45) and even games played (80) amid last season’s wave of calamities.
Many believe that the Penguins essentially chose Kennedy over Jaromir Jagr last summer and some will argue that he’s worth it (even if he won’t rack up the same gaudy numbers). Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, it sounds like he’ll miss even more time than the aging Hall of Famer has missed this season.
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 14
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 37
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)