Feb 9, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils came into tonight as easily one of the hottest teams in the NHL, but they fell short against what might be the absolute hottest. Ken Hitchcock’s St. Louis Blues edged the Devils 4-3 in the shootout to win what many will call a “statement game” – at least for New Jersey.
One interesting mini-plot is that Brian Elliott came in relief of Jaroslav Halak to win the game after Halak allowed three goals on 12 shots in about 29 minutes of work. Elliott came off what must have been an emotional win against his former team in the Ottawa Senators, so he might be building momentum once again. (Perhaps I was hasty when I wondered if Halak was in the process of making Elliott “an All-Star backup” then?)
Either way, it doesn’t hurt to have two netminders who can carry the mail – especially when you have a roster as strong as St. Louis has in front of them. The Devils got a taste of that tonight.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47