Feb 9, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils came into tonight as easily one of the hottest teams in the NHL, but they fell short against what might be the absolute hottest. Ken Hitchcock’s St. Louis Blues edged the Devils 4-3 in the shootout to win what many will call a “statement game” – at least for New Jersey.
One interesting mini-plot is that Brian Elliott came in relief of Jaroslav Halak to win the game after Halak allowed three goals on 12 shots in about 29 minutes of work. Elliott came off what must have been an emotional win against his former team in the Ottawa Senators, so he might be building momentum once again. (Perhaps I was hasty when I wondered if Halak was in the process of making Elliott “an All-Star backup” then?)
Either way, it doesn’t hurt to have two netminders who can carry the mail – especially when you have a roster as strong as St. Louis has in front of them. The Devils got a taste of that tonight.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2