Feb 9, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils came into tonight as easily one of the hottest teams in the NHL, but they fell short against what might be the absolute hottest. Ken Hitchcock’s St. Louis Blues edged the Devils 4-3 in the shootout to win what many will call a “statement game” – at least for New Jersey.
One interesting mini-plot is that Brian Elliott came in relief of Jaroslav Halak to win the game after Halak allowed three goals on 12 shots in about 29 minutes of work. Elliott came off what must have been an emotional win against his former team in the Ottawa Senators, so he might be building momentum once again. (Perhaps I was hasty when I wondered if Halak was in the process of making Elliott “an All-Star backup” then?)
Either way, it doesn’t hurt to have two netminders who can carry the mail – especially when you have a roster as strong as St. Louis has in front of them. The Devils got a taste of that tonight.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50