Feb 8, 2012, 9:20 AM EST
Ville Leino is a guy that’s taken a lot of heat in Buffalo this year for not producing, but he’d like everyone to just have a laugh.
Leino tells John Vogl of the Buffalo News that a lot of the Sabres problems this year have come because they’ve been taking things too seriously.
Leino explains himself and wonders, “Why so serious?”
“Sometimes it seems like, especially around here, I’ve noticed it gets a little serious. You forget to have fun, and you forget all those things you play hockey for. You get a lot more out of yourself if you’re enjoying what you do.”
Leino wasn’t loving life so much for most of the season as he’s put up just four goals and nine assists after signing a monster contract with Buffalo over the summer. Things are getting a little better for Leino of late though as he’s got three points in his last five games. That might not sound like a lot, but when compared to what he’s done this year, that’s a virtual tear.
If the Sabres are going to make a run at the postseason, Leino not being serious might wind up being the best thing for Buffalo. That said, given how poorly Buffalo’s season has gone you have to wonder how well his thoughts are going to be received.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 44
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)