Feb 8, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Ville Leino is a guy that’s taken a lot of heat in Buffalo this year for not producing, but he’d like everyone to just have a laugh.
Leino tells John Vogl of the Buffalo News that a lot of the Sabres problems this year have come because they’ve been taking things too seriously.
Leino explains himself and wonders, “Why so serious?”
“Sometimes it seems like, especially around here, I’ve noticed it gets a little serious. You forget to have fun, and you forget all those things you play hockey for. You get a lot more out of yourself if you’re enjoying what you do.”
Leino wasn’t loving life so much for most of the season as he’s put up just four goals and nine assists after signing a monster contract with Buffalo over the summer. Things are getting a little better for Leino of late though as he’s got three points in his last five games. That might not sound like a lot, but when compared to what he’s done this year, that’s a virtual tear.
If the Sabres are going to make a run at the postseason, Leino not being serious might wind up being the best thing for Buffalo. That said, given how poorly Buffalo’s season has gone you have to wonder how well his thoughts are going to be received.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)