Feb 8, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan has never played for another NHL franchise. He was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in 1995 and moved to the desert in 1996 when the club relocated to Phoenix.
However, with the team’s future in Glendale up in the air and Doan’s contract set to expire on July 1, it’s unclear whether the 35-year-old winger will spend his entire career with the same organization. Or even if he’ll last the rest of the season with it.
“My preference is to stay here (in Phoenix),” said Doan, as reported by the Canadian Press. “I’ve made that clear. But at the same time, obviously if the team’s not here and we’re not here everything is quite a bit different. It’s been that way for the last two years, but I’ve been kind of blocking it out. But I recognize that in the next three weeks it’s probably going to come to a head.
“If not then, it’s going to come to a head in the summer.”
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney isn’t ruling out a trade prior to the Feb. 27 deadline, but only if Doan is amenable to one.
“The only way something would occur is if both parties are in 100 per cent agreement on what that change would be,” said Maloney.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)