Feb 8, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan has never played for another NHL franchise. He was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in 1995 and moved to the desert in 1996 when the club relocated to Phoenix.
However, with the team’s future in Glendale up in the air and Doan’s contract set to expire on July 1, it’s unclear whether the 35-year-old winger will spend his entire career with the same organization. Or even if he’ll last the rest of the season with it.
“My preference is to stay here (in Phoenix),” said Doan, as reported by the Canadian Press. “I’ve made that clear. But at the same time, obviously if the team’s not here and we’re not here everything is quite a bit different. It’s been that way for the last two years, but I’ve been kind of blocking it out. But I recognize that in the next three weeks it’s probably going to come to a head.
“If not then, it’s going to come to a head in the summer.”
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney isn’t ruling out a trade prior to the Feb. 27 deadline, but only if Doan is amenable to one.
“The only way something would occur is if both parties are in 100 per cent agreement on what that change would be,” said Maloney.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)