Feb 8, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan has never played for another NHL franchise. He was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in 1995 and moved to the desert in 1996 when the club relocated to Phoenix.
However, with the team’s future in Glendale up in the air and Doan’s contract set to expire on July 1, it’s unclear whether the 35-year-old winger will spend his entire career with the same organization. Or even if he’ll last the rest of the season with it.
“My preference is to stay here (in Phoenix),” said Doan, as reported by the Canadian Press. “I’ve made that clear. But at the same time, obviously if the team’s not here and we’re not here everything is quite a bit different. It’s been that way for the last two years, but I’ve been kind of blocking it out. But I recognize that in the next three weeks it’s probably going to come to a head.
“If not then, it’s going to come to a head in the summer.”
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney isn’t ruling out a trade prior to the Feb. 27 deadline, but only if Doan is amenable to one.
“The only way something would occur is if both parties are in 100 per cent agreement on what that change would be,” said Maloney.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)