Feb 8, 2012, 6:29 PM EST
Coyotes captain Shane Doan has never played for another NHL franchise. He was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in 1995 and moved to the desert in 1996 when the club relocated to Phoenix.
However, with the team’s future in Glendale up in the air and Doan’s contract set to expire on July 1, it’s unclear whether the 35-year-old winger will spend his entire career with the same organization. Or even if he’ll last the rest of the season with it.
“My preference is to stay here (in Phoenix),” said Doan, as reported by the Canadian Press. “I’ve made that clear. But at the same time, obviously if the team’s not here and we’re not here everything is quite a bit different. It’s been that way for the last two years, but I’ve been kind of blocking it out. But I recognize that in the next three weeks it’s probably going to come to a head.
“If not then, it’s going to come to a head in the summer.”
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney isn’t ruling out a trade prior to the Feb. 27 deadline, but only if Doan is amenable to one.
“The only way something would occur is if both parties are in 100 per cent agreement on what that change would be,” said Maloney.
- We salute you: Leafs acknowledge fans after beating the Red Wings 0
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 5
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 9
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)