Feb 8, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
Coyotes captain Shane Doan has never played for another NHL franchise. He was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in 1995 and moved to the desert in 1996 when the club relocated to Phoenix.
However, with the team’s future in Glendale up in the air and Doan’s contract set to expire on July 1, it’s unclear whether the 35-year-old winger will spend his entire career with the same organization. Or even if he’ll last the rest of the season with it.
“My preference is to stay here (in Phoenix),” said Doan, as reported by the Canadian Press. “I’ve made that clear. But at the same time, obviously if the team’s not here and we’re not here everything is quite a bit different. It’s been that way for the last two years, but I’ve been kind of blocking it out. But I recognize that in the next three weeks it’s probably going to come to a head.
“If not then, it’s going to come to a head in the summer.”
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney isn’t ruling out a trade prior to the Feb. 27 deadline, but only if Doan is amenable to one.
“The only way something would occur is if both parties are in 100 per cent agreement on what that change would be,” said Maloney.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 27
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 42
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 65
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)