Feb 8, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
Three weeks after skipping his team’s White House visit and posting an anti-government statement on Facebook, Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas posted another political message on the social media website.
The message, in its entirety, from The Official Tim Thomas Page:
I Stand with the Catholics in the fight for Religious Freedom.
“In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up.”
– by Martin Niemöller, prominent German anti-Nazi theologian and Lutheran pastor, best known as the author of the poem First they came….
Thomas’ post could be in response to President Barack Obama’s new rule on contraceptives that requires health insurance plans, including those offered by Catholic charities, hospitals and universities, to provide birth control to women.
On Wednesday, U.S. House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner — who is Catholic — blasted the new rule, saying, “This attack by the federal government on religious freedom in our country cannot stand and will not stand.”
Thomas’s Facebook page was created in Oct. 2011 and has been regularly updated with some of his favorite quotes, including ones from Theodore Roosevelt, George S. Patton and Ronald Reagan, among others.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 37
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 75
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)