Feb 8, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
Three weeks after skipping his team’s White House visit and posting an anti-government statement on Facebook, Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas posted another political message on the social media website.
The message, in its entirety, from The Official Tim Thomas Page:
I Stand with the Catholics in the fight for Religious Freedom.
“In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up.”
– by Martin Niemöller, prominent German anti-Nazi theologian and Lutheran pastor, best known as the author of the poem First they came….
Thomas’ post could be in response to President Barack Obama’s new rule on contraceptives that requires health insurance plans, including those offered by Catholic charities, hospitals and universities, to provide birth control to women.
On Wednesday, U.S. House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner — who is Catholic — blasted the new rule, saying, “This attack by the federal government on religious freedom in our country cannot stand and will not stand.”
Thomas’s Facebook page was created in Oct. 2011 and has been regularly updated with some of his favorite quotes, including ones from Theodore Roosevelt, George S. Patton and Ronald Reagan, among others.
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 14
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33