Feb 8, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
When Vinny Prospal signed in Columbus over the summer it was viewed almost as an afterthought signing compared to getting Jeff Carter and James Wisniewski. Turns out it was a solid pickup for a young team and he’s getting rewarded for it.
Columbus GM Scott Howson announced via Twitter that the Jackets have signed Prospal to a one-year contract extension. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the deal is worth the same $2.5 million he signed on for this season making it a solid deal for both sides. Aaron Portzline of Columbus Dispatch reports that the deal also has a no-trade clause. Prospal wants to stay in Columbus for the long haul.
Prospal has nine goals and 24 assists this season for the Jackets putting him second on the team in points behind Rick Nash. Prospal’s savvy veteran ways have been one of the few bright spots for Columbus this season and the way he’s blended in seamlessly gave the Jackets one less bump in the road to deal with.
Signing Prospal to this extension also more than likely takes him off the trade block for this year’s deadline. Prospal was viewed to be a potential trade piece with a contract expiring at the end of the year. Columbus likely could’ve sent him to a contending team and gotten a reasonable return for him, but that won’t be happening and besides, they might have their hands full already trying to deal Jeff Carter.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)