Feb 8, 2012, 10:29 AM EST
When Vinny Prospal signed in Columbus over the summer it was viewed almost as an afterthought signing compared to getting Jeff Carter and James Wisniewski. Turns out it was a solid pickup for a young team and he’s getting rewarded for it.
Columbus GM Scott Howson announced via Twitter that the Jackets have signed Prospal to a one-year contract extension. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the deal is worth the same $2.5 million he signed on for this season making it a solid deal for both sides. Aaron Portzline of Columbus Dispatch reports that the deal also has a no-trade clause. Prospal wants to stay in Columbus for the long haul.
Prospal has nine goals and 24 assists this season for the Jackets putting him second on the team in points behind Rick Nash. Prospal’s savvy veteran ways have been one of the few bright spots for Columbus this season and the way he’s blended in seamlessly gave the Jackets one less bump in the road to deal with.
Signing Prospal to this extension also more than likely takes him off the trade block for this year’s deadline. Prospal was viewed to be a potential trade piece with a contract expiring at the end of the year. Columbus likely could’ve sent him to a contending team and gotten a reasonable return for him, but that won’t be happening and besides, they might have their hands full already trying to deal Jeff Carter.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 8
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)