Feb 8, 2012, 10:29 AM EST
When Vinny Prospal signed in Columbus over the summer it was viewed almost as an afterthought signing compared to getting Jeff Carter and James Wisniewski. Turns out it was a solid pickup for a young team and he’s getting rewarded for it.
Columbus GM Scott Howson announced via Twitter that the Jackets have signed Prospal to a one-year contract extension. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the deal is worth the same $2.5 million he signed on for this season making it a solid deal for both sides. Aaron Portzline of Columbus Dispatch reports that the deal also has a no-trade clause. Prospal wants to stay in Columbus for the long haul.
Prospal has nine goals and 24 assists this season for the Jackets putting him second on the team in points behind Rick Nash. Prospal’s savvy veteran ways have been one of the few bright spots for Columbus this season and the way he’s blended in seamlessly gave the Jackets one less bump in the road to deal with.
Signing Prospal to this extension also more than likely takes him off the trade block for this year’s deadline. Prospal was viewed to be a potential trade piece with a contract expiring at the end of the year. Columbus likely could’ve sent him to a contending team and gotten a reasonable return for him, but that won’t be happening and besides, they might have their hands full already trying to deal Jeff Carter.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)