Feb 8, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
When Vinny Prospal signed in Columbus over the summer it was viewed almost as an afterthought signing compared to getting Jeff Carter and James Wisniewski. Turns out it was a solid pickup for a young team and he’s getting rewarded for it.
Columbus GM Scott Howson announced via Twitter that the Jackets have signed Prospal to a one-year contract extension. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the deal is worth the same $2.5 million he signed on for this season making it a solid deal for both sides. Aaron Portzline of Columbus Dispatch reports that the deal also has a no-trade clause. Prospal wants to stay in Columbus for the long haul.
Prospal has nine goals and 24 assists this season for the Jackets putting him second on the team in points behind Rick Nash. Prospal’s savvy veteran ways have been one of the few bright spots for Columbus this season and the way he’s blended in seamlessly gave the Jackets one less bump in the road to deal with.
Signing Prospal to this extension also more than likely takes him off the trade block for this year’s deadline. Prospal was viewed to be a potential trade piece with a contract expiring at the end of the year. Columbus likely could’ve sent him to a contending team and gotten a reasonable return for him, but that won’t be happening and besides, they might have their hands full already trying to deal Jeff Carter.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)