Feb 8, 2012, 10:29 AM EST
When Vinny Prospal signed in Columbus over the summer it was viewed almost as an afterthought signing compared to getting Jeff Carter and James Wisniewski. Turns out it was a solid pickup for a young team and he’s getting rewarded for it.
Columbus GM Scott Howson announced via Twitter that the Jackets have signed Prospal to a one-year contract extension. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the deal is worth the same $2.5 million he signed on for this season making it a solid deal for both sides. Aaron Portzline of Columbus Dispatch reports that the deal also has a no-trade clause. Prospal wants to stay in Columbus for the long haul.
Prospal has nine goals and 24 assists this season for the Jackets putting him second on the team in points behind Rick Nash. Prospal’s savvy veteran ways have been one of the few bright spots for Columbus this season and the way he’s blended in seamlessly gave the Jackets one less bump in the road to deal with.
Signing Prospal to this extension also more than likely takes him off the trade block for this year’s deadline. Prospal was viewed to be a potential trade piece with a contract expiring at the end of the year. Columbus likely could’ve sent him to a contending team and gotten a reasonable return for him, but that won’t be happening and besides, they might have their hands full already trying to deal Jeff Carter.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)