Feb 8, 2012, 12:58 AM EDT
Going into tonight’s Vancouver Canucks-Nashville Predators game, it seemed like the biggest story revolved around what the Sedin twins might accomplish apart. Instead, the contest provided further evidence of what the two can pull off together.
In this case, they achieved two impressive feats: helping Byron Bitz achieve a two-point night and ending Pekka Rinne‘s 11-game winning streak. Check out highlights from Vancouver’s 4-3 shootout win below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Rinne’s ravishing reign
Blame it on playing in a non-traditional market if you’d like, but Pekka Rinne is playing like a guy worth an epic contract lately. The Canucks ended Rinne’s huge winning streak, but it only puts his amazing run in perspective. Here are a few fun facts:
- Rinne has only lost one game in regulation since the New Year rolled around.
- He is 14-1-1 in his last 17 games.
- Want it to get more absurd? He’s 20-2-1 in his last 24.
- About the only thing he isn’t pulling off is shutouts; Rinne “only” has a single goose egg in that span.
In other words, beating the Predators is a pretty big deal right now. The Sedins came into Tuesday night struggling – relatively speaking – but they made a pretty emphatic argument that they should never be broken up. (Like, ever.)
Perhaps Bitz argued that he’s good enough to play in the NHL in the process. The two games he’s played are his first at hockey’s highest level since he split time between the Boston Bruins and Florida Panthers in 2009-10.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)