Feb 8, 2012, 12:58 AM EDT
Going into tonight’s Vancouver Canucks-Nashville Predators game, it seemed like the biggest story revolved around what the Sedin twins might accomplish apart. Instead, the contest provided further evidence of what the two can pull off together.
In this case, they achieved two impressive feats: helping Byron Bitz achieve a two-point night and ending Pekka Rinne‘s 11-game winning streak. Check out highlights from Vancouver’s 4-3 shootout win below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Rinne’s ravishing reign
Blame it on playing in a non-traditional market if you’d like, but Pekka Rinne is playing like a guy worth an epic contract lately. The Canucks ended Rinne’s huge winning streak, but it only puts his amazing run in perspective. Here are a few fun facts:
- Rinne has only lost one game in regulation since the New Year rolled around.
- He is 14-1-1 in his last 17 games.
- Want it to get more absurd? He’s 20-2-1 in his last 24.
- About the only thing he isn’t pulling off is shutouts; Rinne “only” has a single goose egg in that span.
In other words, beating the Predators is a pretty big deal right now. The Sedins came into Tuesday night struggling – relatively speaking – but they made a pretty emphatic argument that they should never be broken up. (Like, ever.)
Perhaps Bitz argued that he’s good enough to play in the NHL in the process. The two games he’s played are his first at hockey’s highest level since he split time between the Boston Bruins and Florida Panthers in 2009-10.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)