Feb 8, 2012, 12:58 AM EST
Going into tonight’s Vancouver Canucks-Nashville Predators game, it seemed like the biggest story revolved around what the Sedin twins might accomplish apart. Instead, the contest provided further evidence of what the two can pull off together.
In this case, they achieved two impressive feats: helping Byron Bitz achieve a two-point night and ending Pekka Rinne‘s 11-game winning streak. Check out highlights from Vancouver’s 4-3 shootout win below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Rinne’s ravishing reign
Blame it on playing in a non-traditional market if you’d like, but Pekka Rinne is playing like a guy worth an epic contract lately. The Canucks ended Rinne’s huge winning streak, but it only puts his amazing run in perspective. Here are a few fun facts:
- Rinne has only lost one game in regulation since the New Year rolled around.
- He is 14-1-1 in his last 17 games.
- Want it to get more absurd? He’s 20-2-1 in his last 24.
- About the only thing he isn’t pulling off is shutouts; Rinne “only” has a single goose egg in that span.
In other words, beating the Predators is a pretty big deal right now. The Sedins came into Tuesday night struggling – relatively speaking – but they made a pretty emphatic argument that they should never be broken up. (Like, ever.)
Perhaps Bitz argued that he’s good enough to play in the NHL in the process. The two games he’s played are his first at hockey’s highest level since he split time between the Boston Bruins and Florida Panthers in 2009-10.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)