Feb 8, 2012, 12:58 AM EDT
Going into tonight’s Vancouver Canucks-Nashville Predators game, it seemed like the biggest story revolved around what the Sedin twins might accomplish apart. Instead, the contest provided further evidence of what the two can pull off together.
In this case, they achieved two impressive feats: helping Byron Bitz achieve a two-point night and ending Pekka Rinne‘s 11-game winning streak. Check out highlights from Vancouver’s 4-3 shootout win below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Rinne’s ravishing reign
Blame it on playing in a non-traditional market if you’d like, but Pekka Rinne is playing like a guy worth an epic contract lately. The Canucks ended Rinne’s huge winning streak, but it only puts his amazing run in perspective. Here are a few fun facts:
- Rinne has only lost one game in regulation since the New Year rolled around.
- He is 14-1-1 in his last 17 games.
- Want it to get more absurd? He’s 20-2-1 in his last 24.
- About the only thing he isn’t pulling off is shutouts; Rinne “only” has a single goose egg in that span.
In other words, beating the Predators is a pretty big deal right now. The Sedins came into Tuesday night struggling – relatively speaking – but they made a pretty emphatic argument that they should never be broken up. (Like, ever.)
Perhaps Bitz argued that he’s good enough to play in the NHL in the process. The two games he’s played are his first at hockey’s highest level since he split time between the Boston Bruins and Florida Panthers in 2009-10.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 15
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)