Feb 8, 2012, 12:58 AM EST
Going into tonight’s Vancouver Canucks-Nashville Predators game, it seemed like the biggest story revolved around what the Sedin twins might accomplish apart. Instead, the contest provided further evidence of what the two can pull off together.
In this case, they achieved two impressive feats: helping Byron Bitz achieve a two-point night and ending Pekka Rinne‘s 11-game winning streak. Check out highlights from Vancouver’s 4-3 shootout win below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Rinne’s ravishing reign
Blame it on playing in a non-traditional market if you’d like, but Pekka Rinne is playing like a guy worth an epic contract lately. The Canucks ended Rinne’s huge winning streak, but it only puts his amazing run in perspective. Here are a few fun facts:
- Rinne has only lost one game in regulation since the New Year rolled around.
- He is 14-1-1 in his last 17 games.
- Want it to get more absurd? He’s 20-2-1 in his last 24.
- About the only thing he isn’t pulling off is shutouts; Rinne “only” has a single goose egg in that span.
In other words, beating the Predators is a pretty big deal right now. The Sedins came into Tuesday night struggling – relatively speaking – but they made a pretty emphatic argument that they should never be broken up. (Like, ever.)
Perhaps Bitz argued that he’s good enough to play in the NHL in the process. The two games he’s played are his first at hockey’s highest level since he split time between the Boston Bruins and Florida Panthers in 2009-10.
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 0
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 10
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 10
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56