Feb 8, 2012, 12:13 PM EST
Following a 4-1 home loss to the Phoenix Coyotes on Tuesday night, the Dallas Stars found themselves sitting in 11th place in the Western Conference and answering a lot of questions about their recent form.
One player willing to speak openly about that form? Stars defenseman Sheldon Souray.
“Awful. Atrocious. We’ve gotten by on a real good goaltender in our last three or four games, and it’s just not good enough,” he told the Dallas Morning News. “We can talk about it, try to figure it out, point the finger, but as a whole, we’ve really been letting each other down the last three or four games, especially with how important this stretch of games is and what it means.”
The Stars are 3-6-1 in their last 10 and have seen their offense dry up almost entirely. They’ve scored two or fewer goals in nine of the last 10 games (a 6-2 win at Anaheim notwithstanding) and found the back of the net just 18 times in last 10 games.
More pressing than the offense, though, is Dallas’ inability to take advantage of tired teams. The Coyotes had played the night before in Phoenix (a 3-1 win over Detroit) and were on the second game of a back-to-back, yet thoroughly outworked the Stars. That’s a re-occurring theme — Dallas is now 3-5-1 this year when the other team plays the night before.
“The compete level, I don’t think was there tonight,” said defenseman Stephane Robidas. “They’re [Phoenix] the team that should have been tired, and they played a simple effective game.
“That should be a good lesson for us. We have to make sure we compete every night.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)