Feb 8, 2012, 11:39 PM EDT
Not a whole lot has gone right for the Buffalo Sabres this season – particularly when it comes to the hated Boston Bruins – yet for one night, they were the aggressors.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Buffalo looked downright dominant with their head coach Lindy Ruff watching from the press level, although it’s natural to wonder how different things would be if officials didn’t make a terrible call to disallow what would have been a 1-1 goal. Milan Lucic seemed to score but it was waved off because of a phantom goalie interference call.
(Then again, some might view it as karma biting Lucic back for his prior offenses in November.)
Tuukka Rask took the loss after being pulled early following three quick goals, but Tim Thomas wasn’t that much luckier. He allowed three of his own as even lowly Ville Leino looked explosive for the Sabres.
The bottom line is that the gulf between Buffalo and the playoffs – let alone the Bruins – is still quite large. The slumping Ottawa Senators are nine points ahead at eighth place. The Sabres are also looking up at the Florida Panthers, Winnipeg Jets and even the New York Islanders in the East’s playoff bubble, so their problems won’t just fade with Ottawa’s hopes.
Still, they can at least ponder a nice run after improving to an odd 5-0-4 mark in their last nine home games, or at least bask in the glory of beating up the big, bad Bruins at least once.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 24
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 13
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54