Feb 8, 2012, 11:39 PM EDT
Not a whole lot has gone right for the Buffalo Sabres this season – particularly when it comes to the hated Boston Bruins – yet for one night, they were the aggressors.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Buffalo looked downright dominant with their head coach Lindy Ruff watching from the press level, although it’s natural to wonder how different things would be if officials didn’t make a terrible call to disallow what would have been a 1-1 goal. Milan Lucic seemed to score but it was waved off because of a phantom goalie interference call.
(Then again, some might view it as karma biting Lucic back for his prior offenses in November.)
Tuukka Rask took the loss after being pulled early following three quick goals, but Tim Thomas wasn’t that much luckier. He allowed three of his own as even lowly Ville Leino looked explosive for the Sabres.
The bottom line is that the gulf between Buffalo and the playoffs – let alone the Bruins – is still quite large. The slumping Ottawa Senators are nine points ahead at eighth place. The Sabres are also looking up at the Florida Panthers, Winnipeg Jets and even the New York Islanders in the East’s playoff bubble, so their problems won’t just fade with Ottawa’s hopes.
Still, they can at least ponder a nice run after improving to an odd 5-0-4 mark in their last nine home games, or at least bask in the glory of beating up the big, bad Bruins at least once.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)