Feb 8, 2012, 11:39 PM EDT
Not a whole lot has gone right for the Buffalo Sabres this season – particularly when it comes to the hated Boston Bruins – yet for one night, they were the aggressors.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Buffalo looked downright dominant with their head coach Lindy Ruff watching from the press level, although it’s natural to wonder how different things would be if officials didn’t make a terrible call to disallow what would have been a 1-1 goal. Milan Lucic seemed to score but it was waved off because of a phantom goalie interference call.
(Then again, some might view it as karma biting Lucic back for his prior offenses in November.)
Tuukka Rask took the loss after being pulled early following three quick goals, but Tim Thomas wasn’t that much luckier. He allowed three of his own as even lowly Ville Leino looked explosive for the Sabres.
The bottom line is that the gulf between Buffalo and the playoffs – let alone the Bruins – is still quite large. The slumping Ottawa Senators are nine points ahead at eighth place. The Sabres are also looking up at the Florida Panthers, Winnipeg Jets and even the New York Islanders in the East’s playoff bubble, so their problems won’t just fade with Ottawa’s hopes.
Still, they can at least ponder a nice run after improving to an odd 5-0-4 mark in their last nine home games, or at least bask in the glory of beating up the big, bad Bruins at least once.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 1
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 20
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (90)