Feb 8, 2012, 10:56 PM EST
Tonight’s Edmonton Oilers-Detroit Red Wings game helped the hockey world find one force hotter than Sam Gagner right now: the Red Wings in Joe Louis Arena.
Detroit beat the Oilers (or some might say, the Edmonton Gagners) 4-2 for its 18th consecutive home win. It’s pretty tough not to gravitate toward Gagner’s contribution, however, as he scored both Oilers goals, including this breakaway beauty:
It’s still a small sample size, but Gagner’s doing his best to show that his sensational eight-point night was the start of something special rather than a fluke. He now has 15 points (eight goals, seven assists) in a jaw-dropping five-game span.
If Gagner regresses, at least he can look back and say that he made the most of his hot streak.
Record-breaking Red Wings
Speaking of lofty runs, the Red Wings already broke their own franchise record for consecutive home wins, but now the NHL’s all-time record of 20 is within their reach. (The Boston Bruins [1929-30] and 1976 Philadelphia Flyers share that record, according to The Associated Press.) In case you’re wondering, here are Detroit’s next three home games:
vs. Anaheim Ducks (Friday, Feb. 10)
vs. Philadelphia Flyers (Sunday, Feb. 12)
vs. Dallas Stars (Tuesday, Feb. 14)
In fact, the Red Wings’ next five games are at Joe Louis Arena and nine of their next 11 are at home overall. That might be the kind of run that makes history and helps them build a sizable lead in the Central Division in the process.
Watch full highlights of the Oilers-Red Wings game below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)