Feb 8, 2012, 10:56 PM EST
Tonight’s Edmonton Oilers-Detroit Red Wings game helped the hockey world find one force hotter than Sam Gagner right now: the Red Wings in Joe Louis Arena.
Detroit beat the Oilers (or some might say, the Edmonton Gagners) 4-2 for its 18th consecutive home win. It’s pretty tough not to gravitate toward Gagner’s contribution, however, as he scored both Oilers goals, including this breakaway beauty:
It’s still a small sample size, but Gagner’s doing his best to show that his sensational eight-point night was the start of something special rather than a fluke. He now has 15 points (eight goals, seven assists) in a jaw-dropping five-game span.
If Gagner regresses, at least he can look back and say that he made the most of his hot streak.
Record-breaking Red Wings
Speaking of lofty runs, the Red Wings already broke their own franchise record for consecutive home wins, but now the NHL’s all-time record of 20 is within their reach. (The Boston Bruins [1929-30] and 1976 Philadelphia Flyers share that record, according to The Associated Press.) In case you’re wondering, here are Detroit’s next three home games:
vs. Anaheim Ducks (Friday, Feb. 10)
vs. Philadelphia Flyers (Sunday, Feb. 12)
vs. Dallas Stars (Tuesday, Feb. 14)
In fact, the Red Wings’ next five games are at Joe Louis Arena and nine of their next 11 are at home overall. That might be the kind of run that makes history and helps them build a sizable lead in the Central Division in the process.
Watch full highlights of the Oilers-Red Wings game below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)