Feb 8, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
Tonight’s Edmonton Oilers-Detroit Red Wings game helped the hockey world find one force hotter than Sam Gagner right now: the Red Wings in Joe Louis Arena.
Detroit beat the Oilers (or some might say, the Edmonton Gagners) 4-2 for its 18th consecutive home win. It’s pretty tough not to gravitate toward Gagner’s contribution, however, as he scored both Oilers goals, including this breakaway beauty:
It’s still a small sample size, but Gagner’s doing his best to show that his sensational eight-point night was the start of something special rather than a fluke. He now has 15 points (eight goals, seven assists) in a jaw-dropping five-game span.
If Gagner regresses, at least he can look back and say that he made the most of his hot streak.
Record-breaking Red Wings
Speaking of lofty runs, the Red Wings already broke their own franchise record for consecutive home wins, but now the NHL’s all-time record of 20 is within their reach. (The Boston Bruins [1929-30] and 1976 Philadelphia Flyers share that record, according to The Associated Press.) In case you’re wondering, here are Detroit’s next three home games:
vs. Anaheim Ducks (Friday, Feb. 10)
vs. Philadelphia Flyers (Sunday, Feb. 12)
vs. Dallas Stars (Tuesday, Feb. 14)
In fact, the Red Wings’ next five games are at Joe Louis Arena and nine of their next 11 are at home overall. That might be the kind of run that makes history and helps them build a sizable lead in the Central Division in the process.
Watch full highlights of the Oilers-Red Wings game below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 5
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9