Feb 8, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
After getting hit in the head by a puck, receiving a dozen stitches and failing a pair of concussion baseline tests, Oilers coach Tom Renney was back on the ice Wednesday as Edmonton prepared to face the Red Wings in Detroit.
“I’m good. I’m going to give it a good go tonight and if I have to step back, I will,” Renney told the Edmonton Journal. “But it’s a good thing they had the Coke machine in the medical room in Toronto, or I would not have known who we played. I couldn’t have coached that night.”
It was Monday afternoon in Toronto when Renney suffered the concussion. Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid deflected a shot during the gameday skate that inadvertently hit Renney, sending the 56-year-old to the hospital.
“I feel horrible,” Smid said after the practice. “Talk about bad luck.”
On Monday, associate coach Ralph Krueger replaced Renney behind the bench in a 6-3 loss to Toronto. The loss was bad, but losing star rookie Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to another shoulder injury was worse. This latest setback will keep RNH out of the lineup for 7-10 days, forcing AHL Oklakhoma City call-up Magnus Paajarvi into duty.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)