Feb 8, 2012, 3:38 PM EST
After getting hit in the head by a puck, receiving a dozen stitches and failing a pair of concussion baseline tests, Oilers coach Tom Renney was back on the ice Wednesday as Edmonton prepared to face the Red Wings in Detroit.
“I’m good. I’m going to give it a good go tonight and if I have to step back, I will,” Renney told the Edmonton Journal. “But it’s a good thing they had the Coke machine in the medical room in Toronto, or I would not have known who we played. I couldn’t have coached that night.”
It was Monday afternoon in Toronto when Renney suffered the concussion. Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid deflected a shot during the gameday skate that inadvertently hit Renney, sending the 56-year-old to the hospital.
“I feel horrible,” Smid said after the practice. “Talk about bad luck.”
On Monday, associate coach Ralph Krueger replaced Renney behind the bench in a 6-3 loss to Toronto. The loss was bad, but losing star rookie Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to another shoulder injury was worse. This latest setback will keep RNH out of the lineup for 7-10 days, forcing AHL Oklakhoma City call-up Magnus Paajarvi into duty.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 4
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 12
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)