Feb 8, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
After getting hit in the head by a puck, receiving a dozen stitches and failing a pair of concussion baseline tests, Oilers coach Tom Renney was back on the ice Wednesday as Edmonton prepared to face the Red Wings in Detroit.
“I’m good. I’m going to give it a good go tonight and if I have to step back, I will,” Renney told the Edmonton Journal. “But it’s a good thing they had the Coke machine in the medical room in Toronto, or I would not have known who we played. I couldn’t have coached that night.”
It was Monday afternoon in Toronto when Renney suffered the concussion. Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid deflected a shot during the gameday skate that inadvertently hit Renney, sending the 56-year-old to the hospital.
“I feel horrible,” Smid said after the practice. “Talk about bad luck.”
On Monday, associate coach Ralph Krueger replaced Renney behind the bench in a 6-3 loss to Toronto. The loss was bad, but losing star rookie Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to another shoulder injury was worse. This latest setback will keep RNH out of the lineup for 7-10 days, forcing AHL Oklakhoma City call-up Magnus Paajarvi into duty.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)