Feb 8, 2012, 4:18 PM EST
Rinne and Lundqvist topped the list, each receiving 28 percent of votes cast. They were followed by Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury (eight percent), Buffalo’s Ryan Miller (seven percent) and Boston’s Tim Thomas (five percent.)
It’s no surprise Rinne’s viewed as one of the most difficult goalies to beat. He’s only allowed four goals on 19 attempts this year and, last night against Vancouver, had his streak of 13 consecutive saves broken in the third round of an eventual loss. Rinne also holds the highest career shootout save percentage (.779) of any goalie that’s faced more than 15 attempts.
It’s also no surprise to see Lunqvist near the top. He’s the NHL’s active leader in shootout wins — 40, one more than New Jersey’s Martin Brodeur — and has faced more shootout attempts than anybody in history (259). His finest season might’ve come in 2008-09 when he led the NHL with a 9-4 record in the shootout, allowing just 10 goals on 40 shots.
As far as snubs go, Brodeur’s a pretty interesting omission. He trails only Lunqvist for career shootout wins and has been lights-out this season, posting a 4-1 record while allowing just two goals on 13 shots.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)