Feb 8, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
Rinne and Lundqvist topped the list, each receiving 28 percent of votes cast. They were followed by Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury (eight percent), Buffalo’s Ryan Miller (seven percent) and Boston’s Tim Thomas (five percent.)
It’s no surprise Rinne’s viewed as one of the most difficult goalies to beat. He’s only allowed four goals on 19 attempts this year and, last night against Vancouver, had his streak of 13 consecutive saves broken in the third round of an eventual loss. Rinne also holds the highest career shootout save percentage (.779) of any goalie that’s faced more than 15 attempts.
It’s also no surprise to see Lunqvist near the top. He’s the NHL’s active leader in shootout wins — 40, one more than New Jersey’s Martin Brodeur — and has faced more shootout attempts than anybody in history (259). His finest season might’ve come in 2008-09 when he led the NHL with a 9-4 record in the shootout, allowing just 10 goals on 40 shots.
As far as snubs go, Brodeur’s a pretty interesting omission. He trails only Lunqvist for career shootout wins and has been lights-out this season, posting a 4-1 record while allowing just two goals on 13 shots.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)