Feb 8, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
The ever-changing status of Jimmy Howard‘s busted finger continues onward.
Ken Holland tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press that there’s a possibility that Howard may be cleared to play for the weekend. Considering that Howard went from missing a couple games, to being out two weeks, and ultimately out up to 4-6 weeks this just makes sense that things might change again.
Holland is holding out hope however.
“If the doctor tells him today he can practice, and he can get his equipment worked out, we think he’ll be ready to play very soon,” Holland said.
The Red Wings have a game on Friday night against Anaheim and Sunday against Philadelphia and if they can get Howard back by at least Sunday, they’ll be in much better shape to handle the high-scoring Flyers.
The thought of going further into the season with Ty Conklin or Joey MacDonald can’t be all that appealing to Holland and the rest of the Wings and while they’re not going to rush Howard back, if they can get a shortcut to having him back in the net they’ll take it.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 7
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 54
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 17
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8