Feb 8, 2012, 10:07 AM EST
The ever-changing status of Jimmy Howard‘s busted finger continues onward.
Ken Holland tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press that there’s a possibility that Howard may be cleared to play for the weekend. Considering that Howard went from missing a couple games, to being out two weeks, and ultimately out up to 4-6 weeks this just makes sense that things might change again.
Holland is holding out hope however.
“If the doctor tells him today he can practice, and he can get his equipment worked out, we think he’ll be ready to play very soon,” Holland said.
The Red Wings have a game on Friday night against Anaheim and Sunday against Philadelphia and if they can get Howard back by at least Sunday, they’ll be in much better shape to handle the high-scoring Flyers.
The thought of going further into the season with Ty Conklin or Joey MacDonald can’t be all that appealing to Holland and the rest of the Wings and while they’re not going to rush Howard back, if they can get a shortcut to having him back in the net they’ll take it.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)