Feb 8, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
Derek Smith is sidelined with a high-ankle sprain, but he’s probably feeling quite a bit better today. The Calgary Flames handed the undrafted defenseman a two-year, $1.55 million contract extension on Wednesday.
It’s a one-way deal, which means that Smith will be paid the same amount even if he gets demoted to the minors. That must be music to his ears because Smith battled his way to a roster spot in training camp.
Smith has a respectable 10 points in the 32 games that haven’t been wrecked by injuries this season. Smith logged 16:40 minutes per game, with a little under 30 seconds of shorthanded time and a minute and a half of PP time on average.
Smith is 27 years old, which means that he straddles the line between what most people seem to want in Calgary (a rebuild) and the reality GM Jay Feaster is presenting (holding onto veterans while desperately hoping for a playoff run).
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 2
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 10
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 41
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 25
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal