Feb 8, 2012, 12:31 PM EST
When Evander Kane went down for the Winnipeg Jets after suffering a concussion, it was a blow to the team as they’re short on offense. Now that he’s back in action after returning last night, people are curious about his recovery. As it turns out, there’s a question lingering about his injury.
Was Kane injured sooner than mid-January when he went out of action? Kane tells Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun that it was a series of hits that did him in and eventually put him out of the lineup.
“The hit that probably rung the bell the most was against the Islanders a while ago (Dec. 20),” Kane said. “It didn’t really bother me too much. I got over it the next day. No symptoms or anything.”
Wait, what? A month later he was rung up again in a game against Buffalo and decided to get checked out because while he didn’t feel like his game was affected, he wasn’t feeling the same either.
If you thought that figuring out concussions was an easy thing to do, Kane’s situation proves you wrong.
From the moment he was initially hit on December 20 until the game against Buffalo on January 19, Kane slumped badly with three goals and three assists in a span of 15 games. Scoring droughts don’t always mean injury, but in Kane’s case after a wicked blow to the head, closer examination might’ve done some good.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)