Feb 8, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
When Evander Kane went down for the Winnipeg Jets after suffering a concussion, it was a blow to the team as they’re short on offense. Now that he’s back in action after returning last night, people are curious about his recovery. As it turns out, there’s a question lingering about his injury.
Was Kane injured sooner than mid-January when he went out of action? Kane tells Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun that it was a series of hits that did him in and eventually put him out of the lineup.
“The hit that probably rung the bell the most was against the Islanders a while ago (Dec. 20),” Kane said. “It didn’t really bother me too much. I got over it the next day. No symptoms or anything.”
Wait, what? A month later he was rung up again in a game against Buffalo and decided to get checked out because while he didn’t feel like his game was affected, he wasn’t feeling the same either.
If you thought that figuring out concussions was an easy thing to do, Kane’s situation proves you wrong.
From the moment he was initially hit on December 20 until the game against Buffalo on January 19, Kane slumped badly with three goals and three assists in a span of 15 games. Scoring droughts don’t always mean injury, but in Kane’s case after a wicked blow to the head, closer examination might’ve done some good.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 51
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 55
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal