Feb 8, 2012, 7:48 PM EST
Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils took advantage of some nice breaks and great play to shut out the New York Rangers 1-0 last night. It wasn’t all good luck, though, as Rich Chere points out that Brodeur “twisted his ankle” on a play when Ryan Callahan landed on him.
Devils backup Johan Hedberg seems pretty confident that he’ll play against the St. Louis Blues on Thursday, pointing out that Brodeur “had some discomfort” during last night’s contest.
Head coach Peter DeBoer isn’t quite as convinced – or forthcoming – as he stated that the decision hasn’t been made yet. DeBoer told Chere that Brodeur will dress tomorrow whether he sees action or watches Hedberg, though.
Tomorrow’s match against the Blues stands as an interesting measuring stick game for the Devils, who are on a five-game winning streak. Hedberg has played like the real No. 1 guy at times in the past two seasons, so some might say that New Jersey will still be near full strength even if its future Hall of Famer is parked on the bench.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 16
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)