Feb 8, 2012, 7:48 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils took advantage of some nice breaks and great play to shut out the New York Rangers 1-0 last night. It wasn’t all good luck, though, as Rich Chere points out that Brodeur “twisted his ankle” on a play when Ryan Callahan landed on him.
Devils backup Johan Hedberg seems pretty confident that he’ll play against the St. Louis Blues on Thursday, pointing out that Brodeur “had some discomfort” during last night’s contest.
Head coach Peter DeBoer isn’t quite as convinced – or forthcoming – as he stated that the decision hasn’t been made yet. DeBoer told Chere that Brodeur will dress tomorrow whether he sees action or watches Hedberg, though.
Tomorrow’s match against the Blues stands as an interesting measuring stick game for the Devils, who are on a five-game winning streak. Hedberg has played like the real No. 1 guy at times in the past two seasons, so some might say that New Jersey will still be near full strength even if its future Hall of Famer is parked on the bench.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)