Feb 8, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
Given all the recent talk about the Phoenix Coyotes ending up in Seattle, it’s worth reading Stephen Brunt’s column for Sportsnet.ca that makes the case for Quebec City over any other potential NHL market.
Among the things Quebec City has going for it, according to Brunt:
—- An owner with deep pockets (Pierre Karl Peladeau, president and CEO of Quebecor)
—- Plans for a new arena, to be built by 2015 (not guaranteed, but likely)
—- A suitable temporary home in the old Colisee
While Brunt admits that Quebec City “may not be a metropolis,” and it “may not ring a lot of bells when you put it up on American marquees,” it’s – and this is the important part – “filled with people who actually like hockey.”
Translation: It’s Winnipeg with people who speak French.
And that’s the biggest strike against Seattle – sure it’s a big market with no shortage of corporate headquarters, but nobody knows if enough people like hockey there.
Not to mention, assuming the NBA returns to Seattle if a new arena gets built, the NHL would have to compete with the NBA, NFL, MLB, NCAA (Washington Huskies), and MLS.
In Quebec City, the NHL would have to compete with what…Crashed Ice?
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)