Feb 8, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
Given all the recent talk about the Phoenix Coyotes ending up in Seattle, it’s worth reading Stephen Brunt’s column for Sportsnet.ca that makes the case for Quebec City over any other potential NHL market.
Among the things Quebec City has going for it, according to Brunt:
—- An owner with deep pockets (Pierre Karl Peladeau, president and CEO of Quebecor)
—- Plans for a new arena, to be built by 2015 (not guaranteed, but likely)
—- A suitable temporary home in the old Colisee
While Brunt admits that Quebec City “may not be a metropolis,” and it “may not ring a lot of bells when you put it up on American marquees,” it’s – and this is the important part – “filled with people who actually like hockey.”
Translation: It’s Winnipeg with people who speak French.
And that’s the biggest strike against Seattle – sure it’s a big market with no shortage of corporate headquarters, but nobody knows if enough people like hockey there.
Not to mention, assuming the NBA returns to Seattle if a new arena gets built, the NHL would have to compete with the NBA, NFL, MLB, NCAA (Washington Huskies), and MLS.
In Quebec City, the NHL would have to compete with what…Crashed Ice?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)