Feb 8, 2012, 9:32 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins-Buffalo Sabres game is only in the second period, but it’s already provided all kinds of mayhem. (And not just for Tuukka Rask, who was pulled early after allowing three goals.)
Buffalo is handling Boston on the scoreboard so far with a 4-0 lead, but the biggest fireworks are happening in the form of fights. Shawn Thornton‘s second fight is likely to create the most controversy, but whet your appetite with the first one as he took on Cody McCormick:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Update: here’s video of Thornton dropping the gloves with Mike Weber. Thornton received 17 penalty minutes (including an instigator) for the fight. Word is that it was a legal line change, so that should quell suspension worries. (Feel free to advance a counterargument in the comments if you’ve heard or feel otherwise, though.)This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22