Feb 7, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
The Jets have activated leading goalscorer Evander Kane from injured reserve for tonight’s game against the Maple Leafs, marking the first time the 20-year-old will have suited up since Jan. 19.
While Kane went on IR in mid-January, it’s believed he suffered the concussion against the New York Islanders on Dec. 20. He played the rest of the Isles game and 14 more before the concussion symptoms worsened.
“I don’t think it was affecting my play,” Kane told the Winnipeg Free Press. “It was a long time ago. I got over it quickly. I just wasn’t feeling the same as I was most of the year so I wanted to try to take a step back and rest up and get better.”
The return couldn’t come at a bigger time for the Jets as they look to stay alive in the Eastern Conference playoff chase. One of the teams Winnipeg’s chasing is Toronto — currently in 7th place with 62 points — while another, Washington, will host the Jets on Thursday. The Caps sit ninth in the East with 58 points, though they’re just one back of Southeast Division-leading Florida.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 32
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)