Feb 7, 2012, 6:30 PM EST
Via the Associated Press:
The University of Michigan Board of Regents has called a special meeting to discuss renting Michigan Stadium to the NHL for the Winter Classic.
The meeting is scheduled for Wednesday morning. If the regents give their OK as expected, that would likely be one of the last hurdles to bringing the NHL’s annual showcase to one of the most iconic venues in college sports.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie is reporting that an official announcement will be made Thursday, suggesting tomorrow’s meeting is a mere formality.
The game is expected to feature the Detroit Red Wings hosting the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Hopefully they figured out a way to serve beer.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)