Feb 7, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
Via the Associated Press:
The University of Michigan Board of Regents has called a special meeting to discuss renting Michigan Stadium to the NHL for the Winter Classic.
The meeting is scheduled for Wednesday morning. If the regents give their OK as expected, that would likely be one of the last hurdles to bringing the NHL’s annual showcase to one of the most iconic venues in college sports.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie is reporting that an official announcement will be made Thursday, suggesting tomorrow’s meeting is a mere formality.
The game is expected to feature the Detroit Red Wings hosting the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Hopefully they figured out a way to serve beer.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)