Feb 7, 2012, 8:27 AM EDT
Carolina’s Tuomo Ruutu is one of the bigger names out on the trade rumor mill and it was believed that the Hurricanes were listening to offers for the heavy right winger.
Leave it to Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford to make things a bit more interesting though by meeting with Ruutu to discuss what his future holds. Chip Alexander of the News & Observer hears from Rutherford about whether or not he’ll be dealing Ruutu.
“I want to talk to him about where he’s at, this season and in the future,” Rutherford said. “We’ll talk about that and see where it goes. We’re closing in on the (NHL) trade deadline, so we need to make a decision.
“I’ve had casual conversations with his agent the past month or so. The next step is to meet with (Ruutu) and make a decision on what direction would be the best for everyone.”
With that signing fresh in our memory, the possibility that Ruutu might stick in Carolina seems strong. Then again, the cynic in me thinks this might just be news to help get teams looking to acquire Ruutu to up the ante.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 7
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 2
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 13
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 19
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)