Feb 7, 2012, 8:27 AM EST
Carolina’s Tuomo Ruutu is one of the bigger names out on the trade rumor mill and it was believed that the Hurricanes were listening to offers for the heavy right winger.
Leave it to Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford to make things a bit more interesting though by meeting with Ruutu to discuss what his future holds. Chip Alexander of the News & Observer hears from Rutherford about whether or not he’ll be dealing Ruutu.
“I want to talk to him about where he’s at, this season and in the future,” Rutherford said. “We’ll talk about that and see where it goes. We’re closing in on the (NHL) trade deadline, so we need to make a decision.
“I’ve had casual conversations with his agent the past month or so. The next step is to meet with (Ruutu) and make a decision on what direction would be the best for everyone.”
With that signing fresh in our memory, the possibility that Ruutu might stick in Carolina seems strong. Then again, the cynic in me thinks this might just be news to help get teams looking to acquire Ruutu to up the ante.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46