Feb 7, 2012, 8:27 AM EST
Carolina’s Tuomo Ruutu is one of the bigger names out on the trade rumor mill and it was believed that the Hurricanes were listening to offers for the heavy right winger.
Leave it to Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford to make things a bit more interesting though by meeting with Ruutu to discuss what his future holds. Chip Alexander of the News & Observer hears from Rutherford about whether or not he’ll be dealing Ruutu.
“I want to talk to him about where he’s at, this season and in the future,” Rutherford said. “We’ll talk about that and see where it goes. We’re closing in on the (NHL) trade deadline, so we need to make a decision.
“I’ve had casual conversations with his agent the past month or so. The next step is to meet with (Ruutu) and make a decision on what direction would be the best for everyone.”
With that signing fresh in our memory, the possibility that Ruutu might stick in Carolina seems strong. Then again, the cynic in me thinks this might just be news to help get teams looking to acquire Ruutu to up the ante.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 68
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 90
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 101
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (114)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (102)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (90)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)