Feb 7, 2012, 8:27 AM EST
Carolina’s Tuomo Ruutu is one of the bigger names out on the trade rumor mill and it was believed that the Hurricanes were listening to offers for the heavy right winger.
Leave it to Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford to make things a bit more interesting though by meeting with Ruutu to discuss what his future holds. Chip Alexander of the News & Observer hears from Rutherford about whether or not he’ll be dealing Ruutu.
“I want to talk to him about where he’s at, this season and in the future,” Rutherford said. “We’ll talk about that and see where it goes. We’re closing in on the (NHL) trade deadline, so we need to make a decision.
“I’ve had casual conversations with his agent the past month or so. The next step is to meet with (Ruutu) and make a decision on what direction would be the best for everyone.”
With that signing fresh in our memory, the possibility that Ruutu might stick in Carolina seems strong. Then again, the cynic in me thinks this might just be news to help get teams looking to acquire Ruutu to up the ante.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 19
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 25
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11