Feb 7, 2012, 7:48 AM EDT
Both the Los Angeles Kings and the Tampa Bay Lightning come into tonight’s game (7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN) on streaks of a different kind.
The Lightning are winners of six out of their last seven games and that run has them thinking about the playoffs once again. While they’re 11th in the Eastern Conference, they’re 10 points behind eighth place Ottawa. Fortunately for Tampa Bay, the teams they need to jump over to catch up to Ottawa are all in their division as they’re three behind Winnipeg and seven back of Washington.
Leading the charge for the Lightning are the usual suspects. Martin St. Louis netted a hat trick in the Lightning’s last win while Vincent Lecavalier is a 20-goal scorer once again and Steve Stamkos continues to be the NHL leader in goals.
Offense has never been Tampa’s issue, however, but they’ve gotten steadier goaltending of late from Mathieu Garon and with a host of their injured defensemen and other forwards returning, the Lightning are in a good spot right now.
The Kings’ streak is a bit different of late as they too have gotten points in the standings, but many of those thanks to overtime or shootout losses. L.A. is hoping to avoid a three-game losing streak tonight and they’re desperate to see their offense return. Over their last 10 games (4-3-3) they’ve scored just 21 goals and been shutout only once in that span. That’s not getting it done for anyone.
While goalie Jonathan Quick has been brilliant at times, the Kings need more offensively from Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards, and Dustin Brown. With Simon Gagne out of action with a concussion the Kings’ defense has tried to step up with Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson. With all those issues, you’d never know that Los Angeles was seventh in the Western Conference. Should the Kings ever start scoring goals, they’ll be a bear to deal with in the postseason.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 22
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17