Feb 7, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
Seattle’s mayor, Mike McGinn, confirmed yesterday that the city has been working for eight months to get an arena built that could house an NBA or NHL team (or both).
The arena would be constructed on land near Safeco Field that’s already been purchased by San Francisco hedge-fund manager Chris Hansen. No city money would be used in the construction, says the mayor.
While most Seattle sports fans are looking at this as an opportunity to get an NBA team (possibly the Sacramento Kings), adding an NHL team as a second tenant (likely the Phoenix Coyotes) could alleviate some of the financial risk for Hansen, who would presumably own the arena and the basketball franchise.
In December, the Seattle Times reported that Hansen was working with a local investor who wanted to bring the NHL to Seattle. What’s more, a source told the paper that both parties knew they needed each other to make something work.
If that’s the case, it’s a good bet NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NBA commissioner David Stern have been in touch. This might need some serious coordination.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 33
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 6
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)