Feb 7, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
Seattle’s mayor, Mike McGinn, confirmed yesterday that the city has been working for eight months to get an arena built that could house an NBA or NHL team (or both).
The arena would be constructed on land near Safeco Field that’s already been purchased by San Francisco hedge-fund manager Chris Hansen. No city money would be used in the construction, says the mayor.
While most Seattle sports fans are looking at this as an opportunity to get an NBA team (possibly the Sacramento Kings), adding an NHL team as a second tenant (likely the Phoenix Coyotes) could alleviate some of the financial risk for Hansen, who would presumably own the arena and the basketball franchise.
In December, the Seattle Times reported that Hansen was working with a local investor who wanted to bring the NHL to Seattle. What’s more, a source told the paper that both parties knew they needed each other to make something work.
If that’s the case, it’s a good bet NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NBA commissioner David Stern have been in touch. This might need some serious coordination.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 50
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)