Feb 7, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
Seattle’s mayor, Mike McGinn, confirmed yesterday that the city has been working for eight months to get an arena built that could house an NBA or NHL team (or both).
The arena would be constructed on land near Safeco Field that’s already been purchased by San Francisco hedge-fund manager Chris Hansen. No city money would be used in the construction, says the mayor.
While most Seattle sports fans are looking at this as an opportunity to get an NBA team (possibly the Sacramento Kings), adding an NHL team as a second tenant (likely the Phoenix Coyotes) could alleviate some of the financial risk for Hansen, who would presumably own the arena and the basketball franchise.
In December, the Seattle Times reported that Hansen was working with a local investor who wanted to bring the NHL to Seattle. What’s more, a source told the paper that both parties knew they needed each other to make something work.
If that’s the case, it’s a good bet NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NBA commissioner David Stern have been in touch. This might need some serious coordination.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)