Feb 7, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
Seattle’s mayor, Mike McGinn, confirmed yesterday that the city has been working for eight months to get an arena built that could house an NBA or NHL team (or both).
The arena would be constructed on land near Safeco Field that’s already been purchased by San Francisco hedge-fund manager Chris Hansen. No city money would be used in the construction, says the mayor.
While most Seattle sports fans are looking at this as an opportunity to get an NBA team (possibly the Sacramento Kings), adding an NHL team as a second tenant (likely the Phoenix Coyotes) could alleviate some of the financial risk for Hansen, who would presumably own the arena and the basketball franchise.
In December, the Seattle Times reported that Hansen was working with a local investor who wanted to bring the NHL to Seattle. What’s more, a source told the paper that both parties knew they needed each other to make something work.
If that’s the case, it’s a good bet NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NBA commissioner David Stern have been in touch. This might need some serious coordination.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)