Feb 7, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
It’s hard to blame Ryan Suter for waiting. If Nashville ownership is truly committed to winning, then ownership should prove it and get aggressive at the trade deadline. Maybe then he’ll be more willing to sign a long-term contract extension.
On the other hand, it’s hard to blame general manager David Poile for wanting to lock Suter up before the deadline.
Poile explained his predicament today on Sportsnet’s Hockey Central.
“My aggressiveness to make changes between now and Feb. 27 could take on salary, could take on rental players, could give up future (draft picks and prospects), it all probably makes sense if (Ryan) Suter is signed,” Poile said. “If Ryan leaves here on July 1, maybe a lot of those things I was going to do wouldn’t make a lot of sense in the long run.”
Not to mention, if Suter leaves on July 1, it’ll be even harder for Poile to convince Shea Weber to stay long term.
It’s actually pretty incredible when you consider how much the Preds have riding on those two re-signing. It’d be one thing if the fans weren’t coming out to watch a winning team, but Bridgestone Arena might be the loudest rink in the NHL today.
“This is like the Colosseum in Rome coming into this place on Saturday night,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said after his team lost, 3-1, to the Predators on Saturday.
Meanwhile, here’s what Preds forward Brian McGrattan tweeted after the same game.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 8
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)