Feb 7, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT
After 18 seasons and 1200 games played, Owen Nolan has retired in teal.
The gritty 39-year-old power forward signed a one-day contract with San Jose on Tuesday, followed by a press conference announcing his retirement and celebrating his career:
San Jose made the playoffs in five of Nolan’s eight seasons in the Bay Area, including a huge upset of the Presidents Trophy-winning St. Louis Blues in 2000. He ranks second on the franchise leaderboard in goals (206) and power-play goals (75) and third in assists (245) and points (451).
The press conference was a who’s who of former and current franchise greats. Four of San Jose’s eight captains — Nolan, Doug Wilson, Patrick Marleau and Joe Thorton — were in attendance, along with a number of Nolan’s ex-teammates, including Dave Lowry, Mike Ricci and Jarome Iginla (the two won gold together for Team Canada at the 2002 Winter Olympics.)
An emotional Nolan choked back tears while addressing the audience, thanking his friends, family, teammates, the San Jose organization and all the Sharks supporters.
“To all the fans, without you guys there are no sports,” Nolan said. “Thank you very much.”
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 0
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 7
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 19
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)