Feb 7, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
Nugent-Hopkins suffered the injury after getting hit by Leafs forward Mike Brown early in the third period and leaving the contest for good. TSN reports the hit aggravated the same shoulder RNH hurt back on Jan. 2 when he slid into the boards against Chicago — an injury that kept him out of the lineup for 13 games.
The Oilers have called up LW Magnus Paajarvi from AHL Oklahoma City to replace Nugent-Hopkins in the lineup.
Update: NHL.com has a slightly different explanation, saying it’s an injury to the same shoulder, but unrelated to the previous ailment.
“[Brown's] obviously a solid guy, but we were both going for the puck and just collided … landed shoulder on shoulder,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “I could feel it as soon as I got hit. My shoulder kind of dropped and I could feel it.
“It’s the same area, it’s the shoulder, but it’s a new thing on top.”
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39