Feb 7, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
Nugent-Hopkins suffered the injury after getting hit by Leafs forward Mike Brown early in the third period and leaving the contest for good. TSN reports the hit aggravated the same shoulder RNH hurt back on Jan. 2 when he slid into the boards against Chicago — an injury that kept him out of the lineup for 13 games.
The Oilers have called up LW Magnus Paajarvi from AHL Oklahoma City to replace Nugent-Hopkins in the lineup.
Update: NHL.com has a slightly different explanation, saying it’s an injury to the same shoulder, but unrelated to the previous ailment.
“[Brown's] obviously a solid guy, but we were both going for the puck and just collided … landed shoulder on shoulder,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “I could feel it as soon as I got hit. My shoulder kind of dropped and I could feel it.
“It’s the same area, it’s the shoulder, but it’s a new thing on top.”
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 3
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 21
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 35
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)