Feb 7, 2012, 2:29 PM EST
Nugent-Hopkins suffered the injury after getting hit by Leafs forward Mike Brown early in the third period and leaving the contest for good. TSN reports the hit aggravated the same shoulder RNH hurt back on Jan. 2 when he slid into the boards against Chicago — an injury that kept him out of the lineup for 13 games.
The Oilers have called up LW Magnus Paajarvi from AHL Oklahoma City to replace Nugent-Hopkins in the lineup.
Update: NHL.com has a slightly different explanation, saying it’s an injury to the same shoulder, but unrelated to the previous ailment.
“[Brown’s] obviously a solid guy, but we were both going for the puck and just collided … landed shoulder on shoulder,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “I could feel it as soon as I got hit. My shoulder kind of dropped and I could feel it.
“It’s the same area, it’s the shoulder, but it’s a new thing on top.”
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46