Feb 7, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
Nugent-Hopkins suffered the injury after getting hit by Leafs forward Mike Brown early in the third period and leaving the contest for good. TSN reports the hit aggravated the same shoulder RNH hurt back on Jan. 2 when he slid into the boards against Chicago — an injury that kept him out of the lineup for 13 games.
The Oilers have called up LW Magnus Paajarvi from AHL Oklahoma City to replace Nugent-Hopkins in the lineup.
Update: NHL.com has a slightly different explanation, saying it’s an injury to the same shoulder, but unrelated to the previous ailment.
“[Brown's] obviously a solid guy, but we were both going for the puck and just collided … landed shoulder on shoulder,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “I could feel it as soon as I got hit. My shoulder kind of dropped and I could feel it.
“It’s the same area, it’s the shoulder, but it’s a new thing on top.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 2
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 8
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)