Feb 7, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
Nugent-Hopkins suffered the injury after getting hit by Leafs forward Mike Brown early in the third period and leaving the contest for good. TSN reports the hit aggravated the same shoulder RNH hurt back on Jan. 2 when he slid into the boards against Chicago — an injury that kept him out of the lineup for 13 games.
The Oilers have called up LW Magnus Paajarvi from AHL Oklahoma City to replace Nugent-Hopkins in the lineup.
Update: NHL.com has a slightly different explanation, saying it’s an injury to the same shoulder, but unrelated to the previous ailment.
“[Brown's] obviously a solid guy, but we were both going for the puck and just collided … landed shoulder on shoulder,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “I could feel it as soon as I got hit. My shoulder kind of dropped and I could feel it.
“It’s the same area, it’s the shoulder, but it’s a new thing on top.”
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 8
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 14
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39