Feb 7, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
Want a health update on Nathan Horton? If yes, you’ll have to ask someone other than Claude Julien.
The 51-year-old Bruins head coach told reporters he’s “done talking about” Horton, who has been out since Jan. 23 with a concussion.
“I can’t give you an update every day on this guy because it could be long, it could be short,” Julien said. “When you see him on the ice with us, it’s going to be a really good sign, so we’ll leave it at that.”
Horton’s missed the last five games after suffering a concussion against Philadelphia and only recently resumed skating. Because of his high profile — Horton scored the goal that sent Boston to the Stanley Cup finals, his wife is a former Playboy model and the great-niece of Jacques Plante — and highly-publicized concussion suffered at the hands of Aaron Rome, there has been plenty of speculation about his health and impending return.
So it’s understandable why local scribes are asking questions about Horton’s health.
Julien, though, is done replying.
“I don’t have the answer, so I’m not going to give you an answer,” he said. “We don’t know what concussions are all about. There are forward steps, there are backwards steps. I can’t just come out here every day and give you guys an update, because it doesn’t make sense.”
The problem here is that staying silent on an issue won’t make it go away. Not saying anything about Horton leads to speculation about Horton — something CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty brought up. He writes that “nobody can tell” if Boston’s silence means Horton had a setback while skating, or if he’s ready to take the next step and resume practicing.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)