Feb 7, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
Want a health update on Nathan Horton? If yes, you’ll have to ask someone other than Claude Julien.
The 51-year-old Bruins head coach told reporters he’s “done talking about” Horton, who has been out since Jan. 23 with a concussion.
“I can’t give you an update every day on this guy because it could be long, it could be short,” Julien said. “When you see him on the ice with us, it’s going to be a really good sign, so we’ll leave it at that.”
Horton’s missed the last five games after suffering a concussion against Philadelphia and only recently resumed skating. Because of his high profile — Horton scored the goal that sent Boston to the Stanley Cup finals, his wife is a former Playboy model and the great-niece of Jacques Plante — and highly-publicized concussion suffered at the hands of Aaron Rome, there has been plenty of speculation about his health and impending return.
So it’s understandable why local scribes are asking questions about Horton’s health.
Julien, though, is done replying.
“I don’t have the answer, so I’m not going to give you an answer,” he said. “We don’t know what concussions are all about. There are forward steps, there are backwards steps. I can’t just come out here every day and give you guys an update, because it doesn’t make sense.”
The problem here is that staying silent on an issue won’t make it go away. Not saying anything about Horton leads to speculation about Horton — something CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty brought up. He writes that “nobody can tell” if Boston’s silence means Horton had a setback while skating, or if he’s ready to take the next step and resume practicing.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39