Feb 7, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals made it look kinda easy tonight, topping the Florida Panthers 4-0 in a big Southeast Division matchup. This win moves the Caps into first overall in the division while the Panthers take Washington’s place outside the East’s top eight at No. 9.
Washington’s two up-and-down stars figured in heavily to the win. Tomas Vokoun earned his second shutout against his former team, turning aside all 42 shots. Ovechkin looked an awful lot like the force that fans miss and opponents hoped was long gone, scoring two goals and firing seven shots (five that registered and two that missed the net).
Frustrations in Florida
With those 42 shots on goal, the Panthers should know that there was at least a decent effort put forth. That being said, Scott Clemmensen had a rough night, allowing four goals on just 24 shots.
If the playoffs began today, the winner of the Southeast Division would be the third seed while the second place team wouldn’t even make the postseason. It’s not time for the Panthers to panic, but the playoff-starved franchise must be flustered by the thought of possibly falling short once again after such an especially promising start.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 1
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 2
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)