Feb 7, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals made it look kinda easy tonight, topping the Florida Panthers 4-0 in a big Southeast Division matchup. This win moves the Caps into first overall in the division while the Panthers take Washington’s place outside the East’s top eight at No. 9.
Washington’s two up-and-down stars figured in heavily to the win. Tomas Vokoun earned his second shutout against his former team, turning aside all 42 shots. Ovechkin looked an awful lot like the force that fans miss and opponents hoped was long gone, scoring two goals and firing seven shots (five that registered and two that missed the net).
Frustrations in Florida
With those 42 shots on goal, the Panthers should know that there was at least a decent effort put forth. That being said, Scott Clemmensen had a rough night, allowing four goals on just 24 shots.
If the playoffs began today, the winner of the Southeast Division would be the third seed while the second place team wouldn’t even make the postseason. It’s not time for the Panthers to panic, but the playoff-starved franchise must be flustered by the thought of possibly falling short once again after such an especially promising start.
- Video: Boston quickly erases Chicago’s late lead 0
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 5
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 61
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 24
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming