Feb 7, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
“We’ve gotten calls about him for two years,” Gillis said. “There were times where we thought about [trading him], but we knew how good he was and I think he’s now proven to other people around the hockey world how good he is.”
Schneider, 25, has been a big part of Vancouver’s success this season, posting an 11-5-0 record with a 2.28 GAA and .928 save percentage. He’s also recorded wins against top-tier opposition — in Boston, in San Jose, against Chicago — emerging as a legitimate “1a” to Vancouver’s No. 1 netminder, Roberto Luongo.
There’s just one catch: Schneider’s an impending RFA and will be 26 in March. Many feel he’s ready to become a full-fledged NHL starter, something Gillis is aware of.
“There’s going to come a point where we’re going to have to make a decision as we move forward,” he said.
Of course, the Canucks don’t appear to have reached that point. Gillis said he has zero intention of dealing Schneider prior to the trade deadline, barring a monster offer.
“You never say never about anything, but this guy’s a huge part of our team,” Gillis said. “To take a huge part of your team off you team with a month left in the season and then playoffs is a challenging thing to do.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)