Feb 7, 2012, 4:04 PM EST
“We’ve gotten calls about him for two years,” Gillis said. “There were times where we thought about [trading him], but we knew how good he was and I think he’s now proven to other people around the hockey world how good he is.”
Schneider, 25, has been a big part of Vancouver’s success this season, posting an 11-5-0 record with a 2.28 GAA and .928 save percentage. He’s also recorded wins against top-tier opposition — in Boston, in San Jose, against Chicago — emerging as a legitimate “1a” to Vancouver’s No. 1 netminder, Roberto Luongo.
There’s just one catch: Schneider’s an impending RFA and will be 26 in March. Many feel he’s ready to become a full-fledged NHL starter, something Gillis is aware of.
“There’s going to come a point where we’re going to have to make a decision as we move forward,” he said.
Of course, the Canucks don’t appear to have reached that point. Gillis said he has zero intention of dealing Schneider prior to the trade deadline, barring a monster offer.
“You never say never about anything, but this guy’s a huge part of our team,” Gillis said. “To take a huge part of your team off you team with a month left in the season and then playoffs is a challenging thing to do.”
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)