Feb 7, 2012, 10:37 PM EDT
All of a sudden, Martin Brodeur is starting to look like the future Hall of Famer whose greatest criticisms are that he gets a little lucky.
Brodeur picked up a 30-save 1-0 shutout against the New York Rangers tonight, earning his fourth win in a row and pushing the New Jersey Devils to fifth in the East in the process. Brodeur was especially strong in the third period when the Rangers held a ridiculous 15-1 shot advantage.
As you can see from the highlights below, he got a little lucky – especially with a disallowed goal in the waning moments of the game and a friendly post earlier in the night – but he was also an undeniable-difference maker. (You know, like the guy who’s an obvious Hall of Famer.)
(What do you think: did officials make the right call in waiving off the goal because of Marian Gaborik‘s interference? Let us know in the comments.)
Brodeur has allowed eight goals on his four-game winning streak, moving his season record to 18-12-2. His individual numbers still leave plenty to be desired (.899 save percentage; 2.67 GAA), but with the Devils still in position to make noise, it’s all about what he does going forward.
For the first time in a long time, there’s reason to believe that Brodeur can get the job done. To little surprise, the Devils are looking as dangerous as they’ve looked in years as well.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)