Feb 7, 2012, 10:37 PM EDT
All of a sudden, Martin Brodeur is starting to look like the future Hall of Famer whose greatest criticisms are that he gets a little lucky.
Brodeur picked up a 30-save 1-0 shutout against the New York Rangers tonight, earning his fourth win in a row and pushing the New Jersey Devils to fifth in the East in the process. Brodeur was especially strong in the third period when the Rangers held a ridiculous 15-1 shot advantage.
As you can see from the highlights below, he got a little lucky – especially with a disallowed goal in the waning moments of the game and a friendly post earlier in the night – but he was also an undeniable-difference maker. (You know, like the guy who’s an obvious Hall of Famer.)
(What do you think: did officials make the right call in waiving off the goal because of Marian Gaborik‘s interference? Let us know in the comments.)
Brodeur has allowed eight goals on his four-game winning streak, moving his season record to 18-12-2. His individual numbers still leave plenty to be desired (.899 save percentage; 2.67 GAA), but with the Devils still in position to make noise, it’s all about what he does going forward.
For the first time in a long time, there’s reason to believe that Brodeur can get the job done. To little surprise, the Devils are looking as dangerous as they’ve looked in years as well.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 7
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 30
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 46
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 17
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games