Feb 7, 2012, 10:37 PM EDT
All of a sudden, Martin Brodeur is starting to look like the future Hall of Famer whose greatest criticisms are that he gets a little lucky.
Brodeur picked up a 30-save 1-0 shutout against the New York Rangers tonight, earning his fourth win in a row and pushing the New Jersey Devils to fifth in the East in the process. Brodeur was especially strong in the third period when the Rangers held a ridiculous 15-1 shot advantage.
As you can see from the highlights below, he got a little lucky – especially with a disallowed goal in the waning moments of the game and a friendly post earlier in the night – but he was also an undeniable-difference maker. (You know, like the guy who’s an obvious Hall of Famer.)
(What do you think: did officials make the right call in waiving off the goal because of Marian Gaborik‘s interference? Let us know in the comments.)
Brodeur has allowed eight goals on his four-game winning streak, moving his season record to 18-12-2. His individual numbers still leave plenty to be desired (.899 save percentage; 2.67 GAA), but with the Devils still in position to make noise, it’s all about what he does going forward.
For the first time in a long time, there’s reason to believe that Brodeur can get the job done. To little surprise, the Devils are looking as dangerous as they’ve looked in years as well.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 35
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 98
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (98)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)