Feb 7, 2012, 10:37 PM EDT
All of a sudden, Martin Brodeur is starting to look like the future Hall of Famer whose greatest criticisms are that he gets a little lucky.
Brodeur picked up a 30-save 1-0 shutout against the New York Rangers tonight, earning his fourth win in a row and pushing the New Jersey Devils to fifth in the East in the process. Brodeur was especially strong in the third period when the Rangers held a ridiculous 15-1 shot advantage.
As you can see from the highlights below, he got a little lucky – especially with a disallowed goal in the waning moments of the game and a friendly post earlier in the night – but he was also an undeniable-difference maker. (You know, like the guy who’s an obvious Hall of Famer.)
(What do you think: did officials make the right call in waiving off the goal because of Marian Gaborik‘s interference? Let us know in the comments.)
Brodeur has allowed eight goals on his four-game winning streak, moving his season record to 18-12-2. His individual numbers still leave plenty to be desired (.899 save percentage; 2.67 GAA), but with the Devils still in position to make noise, it’s all about what he does going forward.
For the first time in a long time, there’s reason to believe that Brodeur can get the job done. To little surprise, the Devils are looking as dangerous as they’ve looked in years as well.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)