Feb 6, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
After going to local hospital for X-rays, it was learned the 51-year-old bench boss had suffered three broken ribs, according to the Sabres team website.
Ruff wasn’t made available for comment following the diagnosis, but the Sabres reported he would be back at practice on Tuesday. Buffalo’s next game is on Wednesday at the First Niagara Center against Boston.
The collision occurred when Leopold got tangled with Ville Leino and lost his balance, sliding to the ice and clipping Ruff from behind, taking the coach’s legs out. Ruff went airborne and landed hard on the ice, letting out a very audible scream that alerted those in attendance.
“I lost my breath,” Leopold said. “I was looking back and I kind of yelled, ‘Are you all right? Are you all right?’ Right away, ‘No.’ That wasn’t a good thing.”
(Image courtesy Buffalo News)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 59
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5