Feb 6, 2012, 4:52 PM EST
After going to local hospital for X-rays, it was learned the 51-year-old bench boss had suffered three broken ribs, according to the Sabres team website.
Ruff wasn’t made available for comment following the diagnosis, but the Sabres reported he would be back at practice on Tuesday. Buffalo’s next game is on Wednesday at the First Niagara Center against Boston.
The collision occurred when Leopold got tangled with Ville Leino and lost his balance, sliding to the ice and clipping Ruff from behind, taking the coach’s legs out. Ruff went airborne and landed hard on the ice, letting out a very audible scream that alerted those in attendance.
“I lost my breath,” Leopold said. “I was looking back and I kind of yelled, ‘Are you all right? Are you all right?’ Right away, ‘No.’ That wasn’t a good thing.”
(Image courtesy Buffalo News)
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)