Feb 6, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
After going to local hospital for X-rays, it was learned the 51-year-old bench boss had suffered three broken ribs, according to the Sabres team website.
Ruff wasn’t made available for comment following the diagnosis, but the Sabres reported he would be back at practice on Tuesday. Buffalo’s next game is on Wednesday at the First Niagara Center against Boston.
The collision occurred when Leopold got tangled with Ville Leino and lost his balance, sliding to the ice and clipping Ruff from behind, taking the coach’s legs out. Ruff went airborne and landed hard on the ice, letting out a very audible scream that alerted those in attendance.
“I lost my breath,” Leopold said. “I was looking back and I kind of yelled, ‘Are you all right? Are you all right?’ Right away, ‘No.’ That wasn’t a good thing.”
(Image courtesy Buffalo News)
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)