Feb 6, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
After going to local hospital for X-rays, it was learned the 51-year-old bench boss had suffered three broken ribs, according to the Sabres team website.
Ruff wasn’t made available for comment following the diagnosis, but the Sabres reported he would be back at practice on Tuesday. Buffalo’s next game is on Wednesday at the First Niagara Center against Boston.
The collision occurred when Leopold got tangled with Ville Leino and lost his balance, sliding to the ice and clipping Ruff from behind, taking the coach’s legs out. Ruff went airborne and landed hard on the ice, letting out a very audible scream that alerted those in attendance.
“I lost my breath,” Leopold said. “I was looking back and I kind of yelled, ‘Are you all right? Are you all right?’ Right away, ‘No.’ That wasn’t a good thing.”
(Image courtesy Buffalo News)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)