Feb 6, 2012, 3:05 PM EST
Getting a result in Anaheim has always been a struggle for the Flames, though head coach Brent Sutter wasn’t aware just how big a struggle it’s been.
“There’s always buildings where you don’t have things go the way you want them to, for whatever reason,” Sutter told the Calgary Herald. “I didn’t know it was 50 years [since the last win].”
Okay, so it’s not quite 50 years — the Flames last won in Anaheim in Jan. 2004 — but you can forgive Sutter for thinking it’s been that long. Calgary is 0-9-4 in its last 13 appearances in Anaheim and 1-13-9 in its last 23 games there, a record so bad it almost requires comedic relief.
[In that vein, something amusing: The last time the Flames won in Anaheim, Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma was a Duck and Calgary assistant coach Dave Lowry was a Flame.]
That said, there’ll be few laughs from the Flames should the losing continue. Calgary is four points back of Minnesota for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference and ready to embark on a key three-game road swing through “Death Valley” — Anaheim, San Jose and Phoenix. Given the flames are just 10-14-4 on the road this year, it’s a very important trip…not that you need to remind Sutter of its importance.
“You know what, you guys? As you know, when you’re in a race like we are, every game is a big game,” Sutter told reporters on Sunday. “So, this is a big trip. Just like our last one. The position we were in last time, we had to get on the road and win some games — and we did that.
“This one is basically the same.”
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)