Feb 6, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
P.K. Subban has that uncanny ability to make even the most mild-tempered player lose their mind in frustration because of what he does. You can add Winnipeg’s Blake Wheeler to the list of players who have snapped thanks to Subban as the two threw down during Montreal’s 3-0 win yesterday afternoon.
Wheeler, however, wasn’t too impressed with how Subban handled himself and tells Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun that Subban should brush up on “the code” when it comes to fighting.
“I asked him to fight and he declined — and then he jumped me,” said Wheeler, whose last NHL fight came almost two years to the day when he dropped the gloves with Canadiens defenceman Ryan O’Byrne on Feb. 7, 2010. “That’s pretty much what he is.”
Maybe Subban just had it out for Wheeler because he’s a former Bruin or maybe Subban is just that sort of player that takes a poke when he’s got a chance, whether the opponent knows it or not.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)