Feb 6, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
P.K. Subban has that uncanny ability to make even the most mild-tempered player lose their mind in frustration because of what he does. You can add Winnipeg’s Blake Wheeler to the list of players who have snapped thanks to Subban as the two threw down during Montreal’s 3-0 win yesterday afternoon.
Wheeler, however, wasn’t too impressed with how Subban handled himself and tells Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun that Subban should brush up on “the code” when it comes to fighting.
“I asked him to fight and he declined — and then he jumped me,” said Wheeler, whose last NHL fight came almost two years to the day when he dropped the gloves with Canadiens defenceman Ryan O’Byrne on Feb. 7, 2010. “That’s pretty much what he is.”
Maybe Subban just had it out for Wheeler because he’s a former Bruin or maybe Subban is just that sort of player that takes a poke when he’s got a chance, whether the opponent knows it or not.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)