Feb 6, 2012, 8:37 PM EST
Considering the talent on their injured list, some might take to calling Alex Ovechkin‘s team the wounded Washington Capitals.
The (also quite banged-up) Florida Panthers won’t shed a tear for their divisional opponent’s plight when the teams face off in a significant game* on Tuesday, though. That’s just fine with Ovechkin, who seemed confident that the Capitals can overcome the absence of players such as Mike Green and Nicklas Backstrom when discussing the subject with CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“We’re going to need to play like we didn’t play yet this year,” Ovechkin said. “It’s going to be tough, but I like when it’s tough. You have to show your character, and you have to show your leadership.”
“We’re not going to cry. We’re not going to be asking for help from somebody. It’s all about us. We have to be together and play like a team.”
The Panthers topped the Capitals 4-2 last Wednesday – and that was with a healthy Brooks Laich in the lineup. Washington’s rugged center injured his leg on Sunday, so the Capitals will likely lean on captain Ovechkin even more than usual tomorrow.
* – At the moment, it seems like the Southeast winner might just be the only team in that division to make the playoffs. The Capitals (58 points) are in ninth place while the Panthers (59) would secure the third seed if the playoffs began today.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)