Feb 6, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
Considering the talent on their injured list, some might take to calling Alex Ovechkin‘s team the wounded Washington Capitals.
The (also quite banged-up) Florida Panthers won’t shed a tear for their divisional opponent’s plight when the teams face off in a significant game* on Tuesday, though. That’s just fine with Ovechkin, who seemed confident that the Capitals can overcome the absence of players such as Mike Green and Nicklas Backstrom when discussing the subject with CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“We’re going to need to play like we didn’t play yet this year,” Ovechkin said. “It’s going to be tough, but I like when it’s tough. You have to show your character, and you have to show your leadership.”
“We’re not going to cry. We’re not going to be asking for help from somebody. It’s all about us. We have to be together and play like a team.”
The Panthers topped the Capitals 4-2 last Wednesday – and that was with a healthy Brooks Laich in the lineup. Washington’s rugged center injured his leg on Sunday, so the Capitals will likely lean on captain Ovechkin even more than usual tomorrow.
* – At the moment, it seems like the Southeast winner might just be the only team in that division to make the playoffs. The Capitals (58 points) are in ninth place while the Panthers (59) would secure the third seed if the playoffs began today.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 3
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 16
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (66)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)