Feb 6, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
Considering the talent on their injured list, some might take to calling Alex Ovechkin‘s team the wounded Washington Capitals.
The (also quite banged-up) Florida Panthers won’t shed a tear for their divisional opponent’s plight when the teams face off in a significant game* on Tuesday, though. That’s just fine with Ovechkin, who seemed confident that the Capitals can overcome the absence of players such as Mike Green and Nicklas Backstrom when discussing the subject with CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“We’re going to need to play like we didn’t play yet this year,” Ovechkin said. “It’s going to be tough, but I like when it’s tough. You have to show your character, and you have to show your leadership.”
“We’re not going to cry. We’re not going to be asking for help from somebody. It’s all about us. We have to be together and play like a team.”
The Panthers topped the Capitals 4-2 last Wednesday – and that was with a healthy Brooks Laich in the lineup. Washington’s rugged center injured his leg on Sunday, so the Capitals will likely lean on captain Ovechkin even more than usual tomorrow.
* – At the moment, it seems like the Southeast winner might just be the only team in that division to make the playoffs. The Capitals (58 points) are in ninth place while the Panthers (59) would secure the third seed if the playoffs began today.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 0
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 44
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)